Installation without CD-Rom

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hsha
Level 1
Level 1

Installation without CD-Rom

Post by hsha » Wed May 25, 2011 4:40 am

Hey everyone i'm very new to linux and thought i would give it a shot but i have been facing a problem that i can't boot from a cd since i have no cdrom , i tried to unzip the iso file , using installer but after it downloads some information from the internet it just disappear and i can see a folder LinuxMint on my harddisk i tried to reboot but it's not on the boot selection so is there any way to be able to use linux?

Jobe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installation without CD-Rom

Post by Jobe » Wed May 25, 2011 5:08 am

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

This is what I used...

Insert a USB stick (no smaller than 1GB) & using that program, it will download & install the version of Linux you require, straight onto the USB stick.

Reboot your PC, tap F8 whilst its starting, select Boot from USB 2.0 - This is load Linux in Distro mode, from here you're able to install it directly onto your hard drive by selecting Install Linux from the Distro desktop.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Wed May 25, 2011 2:39 pm

F8 is different for each computer.
On some computers, USB boot works out-of-the-box.

For many computers, there is a message 'Press Fx for the boot menu' at boot, where X can be every number from 1 to 12, though 6/7/8 are most common.
In the boot menu, you can choose your USB stick (with up/down keys, the mouse on most computers doesn't work in the boot menu).
Other computers have a message 'Press Fx / DEL / ESC to enter Setup'. At this computers, you can use that setup program (in most cases controlled by keyboard only and not the mouse) to edit the boot sequence. Or you can, usually at advanced settings, enable external boot devices (I needed to do this on a Vaio computer).

Note that when no message of 'Press ... ' appears directly after turning on the power, it's usually Esc, F1, F2 or F10. Just try one of these keys, and see if something happens. If Windows just starts to boot, press the reset button (or reboot) and try again.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador » Wed May 25, 2011 4:49 pm

I just start smashing keys on the F row along with an occasional Delete press.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Thu May 26, 2011 4:58 am

Or look into the manual of your computer / motherboard on how to set booting from USB.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Newbie Questions”