Firewall Mint 11 will not stay ON!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
retlaw
Level 1
Level 1

Firewall Mint 11 will not stay ON!

Post by retlaw » Sat May 28, 2011 5:36 pm

I have searched through to FAQs and forums but can find no similar problem discussed. I just updated from Mint 10 to 11. The first thing I did was turn on the firewall and exited. Then I double checked. It was not on. Have tried several times; It is off every time. Message given is "cannot find sys log".

I downloaded Firestarter via synaptic and it remains ON. Can someone please tell me how to set the ufw firewall so that it will stay ON. :oops:
Thank you for any suggestions.

Dennis

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Firewall Mint 11 will not stay ON!

Post by lmintnewb » Sat May 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Cannot think of anything to try. Should have to enter the admin password before it'll letcha tinker with the firewall anyway. So not a permissions thing, shrugs. Might try marking it for reinstall in synaptic ? What I remember enabling the firewall in Mint 10 ... Was just checking a box.

Either way though take heart. Linux w/o a firewall is probably mucho more secure than winblows with a full security suite working, lol. Not like summin is going to latch onto your comp and run a brute strength password cracker to be able to figure out your root pw. Well wouldn't think so anyway. Doubt your system is in all that much danger. Just going to bother ya knowing a firewall isn't active, pretty much.

Unless you've set Mint to always be running in root. Plenty of warnings against doing that though.

All the malcode writers of da world are too busy plaguing winblows users. Which apparently compared to linux ... is shooting fish in a barrel for em. Why go after fort knox ... when M$ leaves 90+% of the PC users sitting ducks ? :D

retlaw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by retlaw » Sat May 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Thank you Imintnewb for the quick comments and suggestion. I did a complete removal of the firewall through synaptic and then a re-install. I am confounded here. The firestarter firewall is staying on when I check it, so I will cross my fingers and stick with that.
Dennis :?

nlsthzn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nlsthzn » Sat May 28, 2011 9:32 pm

Sorry, but I am new to Mint and not in front of my own PC at the moment... if Mint uses the same firewall as Ubuntu then in a terminal you could try "sudo ufw enable" Normally after this command (and entering your password off course) it will confirm that the firewall is active and will start again every time the PC does...

edit: Just confirmed that you can indeed use the above to turn on the firewall...

Regards
Neil
Last edited by nlsthzn on Sun May 29, 2011 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost...

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Sat May 28, 2011 9:42 pm

In Mint 11 it appears to have a newer edition of the firewall application...when i was checking it out on live dvd i noticed there is a button lower down that says "unlock" you have to hit that first, then hit the enable button...did you do that? Once i did that on the live dvd it appeared to work fine...

retlaw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by retlaw » Sun May 29, 2011 8:59 pm

Thank you nisthzn and craig10x. Tried both "sudo ufw enable" from terminal and unlocked in the ufw dialogue box. Both to no avail. I think there is a problem that needs fixing.
I solved my problem! I installed MINT DEBIAN! :D
(As an aside, I really like it.)
Rerlaw

nlsthzn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nlsthzn » Mon May 30, 2011 4:00 am

retlaw wrote:Thank you nisthzn and craig10x. Tried both "sudo ufw enable" from terminal and unlocked in the ufw dialogue box. Both to no avail. I think there is a problem that needs fixing.
I solved my problem! I installed MINT DEBIAN! :D
(As an aside, I really like it.)
Rerlaw

Oh well... would have been a good exercise to have found the underlying issue but if you are happy then good :mrgreen:

Neil
Of all the things I've lost...

1Canuck
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1Canuck » Mon May 30, 2011 9:08 am

nlsthzn wrote:Sorry, but I am new to Mint and not in front of my own PC at the moment... if Mint uses the same firewall as Ubuntu then in a terminal you could try "sudo ufw enable" Normally after this command (and entering your password off course) it will confirm that the firewall is active and will start again every time the PC does...

edit: Just confirmed that you can indeed use the above to turn on the firewall...

Regards
Neil
For what it's worth...I found this thread because I had been searching for the same solution as the OP mentioned. I tried Neil's suggestion and it worked perfectly for me as well. I thought this was worth sharing, just in case others searching for answers on this topic read this thread as well. :D

Agnostix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Agnostix » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:21 am

I've encountered the same problem since installing Mint 11 alongside Mint 10.
On Mint 10 Gufw 10.10.1 set up as directed and stays running when the gui is closed.
On Mint 11 it does not stay running after the gui is closed.
Reopen the gui and looks all grey and lifeless, like it never was switched on.
Type your password, click the 'On' box and the thing springs to life
but it's as dead as a door nail the next time you look!

On my desktop, Mint 11 is not working properly yet due to unresolved graphics issues
(See: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ilit=weird )
but I wonder how many others are now having similar issues with Gufw on Mint 11.

gn2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gn2 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Firestarter, UFW and Gufw are not firewalls, they are tools for changing the iptables firewall settings.
It is not necessary to have Firestarter, UFW or Gufw active, some would argue that having them on is in itsself a security risk.

Further reading:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firewall
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812

juicer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juicer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:30 am

Firewall: Unlock / insert password / enable/ exit.
The next time I went to check on Firewall, all was greyed out and it didn't appear firewall was enabled but as soon as I repeated unlock / password, the enabled box was now already checked and the shield appeared in color.
Confessions of a MS addict: things are a little different here in Oz, Dorothy!
Water invented man as a means of transportation.

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:14 am

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... fw#p470725

btw: Thank you gn2 for that second link, was highly informative and thorough stuff. Though gave me a headache, as I've been reading too much n long already and as am not over concerned with gnu/Linux security issues. Still a dang good reference imo and appreciate/bookmarked it. For closer inspection if my eyes ever uncross again !
some would argue that having them on is in itsself a security risk.

Would also definitely be interested in your opinion about it, if ya care to elaborate or PM me, about your experience and findings on it.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:45 am

Here is the funny thing about gufw...while (since mint 11 i am using mint 12 now and same deal) it looks like it isn't staying on, actually i think it is...
I turned it ON initially (don't make any fancy settings, simply turn it on) and if i should open it again it looks like it is off again..

HOWEVER, before turning it on the first time i went to the "Shields Up" test site to see what it shows....i was not STEALTH....However, once i turned on GUFW (even though if opened now it looks like it needs to be turned on again) if i go to "Shields Up" it shows that i am now STEALTH....so actually, all you have to do is turn it on once and it is actually staying on (even though it looks like it isn't) :lol:

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:19 am

Might want to look over that thread I posted above, if you're going to bother enabling it. Doesn't hurt to check it, not that I think it's a big deal either way. Picked up a couple good ufw terminal commands from Vincent there. Just 2 cents ... n no worries.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:42 am

Actually, your ports are closed by default whether you enable the firewall or not...the only difference i find that is when i enable gufw it "stealths" the ports (makes them invisible)...i always put it on...but as you said...no big deal really... :wink:

Return to “Newbie Questions”