choosing boot loader installation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
manny433

choosing boot loader installation

Post by manny433 »

Hello friends,

I just downloaded LinuxMint 11 and im ready to install it.Install is asking me to choose for boot loader installation.On this pc i have windows xp on sda1 and ubuntu 10.04 on sdb1 and i want to install LinuxMint on same hard drive as Ubuntu which is
sdb but i dont how to choose for boot loader installation.Can you please help me?Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: choosing boot loader installation

Post by Aging Technogeek »

You have two options.

1. Install the Mint bootloader to /dev/sda and it will take over from the Ubuntu bootloader with Mint as the default OS.

2. Install the Mint bootloader to Mint's /(root) partition. After installation Mint will not be available for boot from the Ubuntu bootloader. You must do this. On the restart, let the Ubuntu bootloader start Ubuntu. Once Unbuntu is running, open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
This will allow the Ubuntu bootloader to detect Mint and add it to the boot menu where you will find it on the next restart. This method has the advantage of not displacing Ubuntu as the default OS (the one booted if no other choice is made).

Return to “Beginner Questions”