Nautilus Side Places menu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
swwing17
Level 1
Level 1

Nautilus Side Places menu

Post by swwing17 »

Hi,
Sorry if I missed something, but I've searched everywhere I could think of, using different word & phases, and can't find an answer, so I'm posting.
I've been using Mint since Gloria, and have loved the switch from XP and all things microsoft, but after my new install of Katya (CD then added DVD upgrade & codecs), I'm missing the side panel (Places) when I open a directory. This was extremely useful, and would love to get it back.
Any help would be appreciated .
Thank you. :)

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Nautilus Side Places menu

Post by AdamS »

Screenshot-9.png
Screenshot-9.png (214.09 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.

swwing17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by swwing17 »

Thanks Guru, but my drop down menu for View only has "Stop", "Reload", "Reset...", "Show Hidden...", "Arrange Items", Zoom settings, and layout prefs. I was trying to take a screenshot (using Print scrn), but can't find the screenshot, and can't search because I've also noticed that the toolbar that contains the Search bar, Go Back, Forward, Up One, etc., is also missing.
Any thoughts?

swwing17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by swwing17 »

Here's a screenshot:
Attachments
Notice there's no "Side Panel" option, or Navigation/Search toolbar
Notice there's no "Side Panel" option, or Navigation/Search toolbar
Screenshot-Documents.png (50.38 KiB) Viewed 1089 times

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

Tried reset view to default ?

If nothing else

thunar or dolphin

other then that , trying to recreate to know what was done lol.

Often have to do this for clients to know what they did and how to fix it lol. First one with this issue.
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

That wasnt so hard to recreate.

You created custom icons and launchers for nautilus. Updated your system and poof.

usr/share/nautilus/ui/nautilus-navigation-window-ui.xml

Replace with this one.
nautilus-navigation-window-ui.xml.tar.gz
(794 Bytes) Downloaded 245 times
Make sure permissions are set right and restart.

Easy fix.

swwing17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by swwing17 »

Thanks Guru.
Where do I extract the xml file to (Directory)?

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

look at my last post bro.

Shes there bud.
usr/share/nautilus/ui/nautilus-navigation-window-ui.xml

swwing17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by swwing17 »

Sorry Guru, I jumped right to the dl'ing.
Anyway, I extracted the xml file to the exact directory you said, checked permissions for owner - "R&W, Group - R, checked "allow to run as executable". I restarted....and nothing changed. Do I need to change group permissions, or uncheck "allow...executable"?

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

Screenshot-11.png
Screenshot-11.png (226.09 KiB) Viewed 1061 times
wondering if you will need to rebuild the folder its self.

swwing17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by swwing17 »

Thanks for the help Guru. I changed permissions to match yours, but still the same problem.
I don't know what could have happened because, like I said at the beginning, I've been using Mint for years now, and I didn't do anything different this time after installing. Could this have happened from any of the upgrades/updates after the install?
One of the thing I love about this OS is how easy it is to back up, and re-install. Yes I know some people will say that's giving up, and you don't learn. Well, I love learning (2 Master's Degrees, etc.), but I'd rather learn by stating out with a non-bandaged system, and them experiment by consciously making changes, and know exactly how to undo the changes that I've made. I love Linux for this very reason, and the willingness of others to help along the way.
Thanks again Guru! :)

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

No human technology is infallible.

Regardless of the software used, Hardware will always remain an issue till we progress to more perfection.

So yes, I have seen updates go bad on Linux to. Just no were near as often as I do on windows based systems.

It is very possible that an update didn't install quite right, threads get stuck or lost all the time.

Why we see what we call bugs 99% of the time.

It happens, I am 100% positive it can be fixed. But if it was me, I could reinstall my system fresh and replace home folder key files in a matter of a few hours no problem.

If you wish to fix it, try replacing the entire folder with a fresh one.

As I tell my clients, nature of the beast. It is what it is and we deal with it as needed.

Thou such issues are very rare with Linux. Unless you overclock, then it becomes an issue often lol.

swwing17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by swwing17 »

Update:
Well Guru, I think I might have a better clue what's causing the problem. I've since re-installed the OS (DVD w/ codecs) 4 times, and each time everything in nautilus window was normal UNTIL I tried to reposition the window by dragging it to the top of the screen. I noticed that each time the window was placed at the very top of the screen, a transparent green shadow would surround the window. When I would release the left mouse button to drop the window at that position, the window would automatically maximize, and the navigation bar AND the side panel would be gone, with no option to get them back. I tried resizing the window, using various methods, but nothing would work.
I don't understand why the developers (*if they're aware that this happens, I don't want to assume) would allow an automatic behavior like that w/out at least a pop-up giving me a choice. It's very frustrating.
Any ideas of how to reverse this action/behavior?
Thanks for your help, either way. :D
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (249.23 KiB) Viewed 1037 times

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

Hint

I use compiz to control such things.
Screenshot-19.png
Screenshot-19.png (232.04 KiB) Viewed 1036 times

swwing17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by swwing17 »

How would I control that in compiz?

Update 2:
I've figured out exactly what does it, and how to reverse it.
When I went into Edit>Preferences>Behavior and checked the box "Open each folder in it's own window" , closed the window, and then reopened it, the side panel and navigation bar would be gone. When I unchecked the box, closed, then reopened the window, side panel and nav bar would be there again.

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

That explains it.

I like the single click option my self. I use double click for clients.

hey look at it this way, what you have learned is highly invaluable.

samantha42
Level 1
Level 1

Post by samantha42 »

I had the same problem. Looked a lot like UNITY in Ubuntu...and it is!

Go to CompizConfig Settings Manager>Preferences>Profile and change from 'UNITY' to 'Default'.

Really freaked me out to think that Mint installed UNITY by default. This is the main reason I left Ubuntu.

Simple once you know how...Love the forum.

Return to “Newbie Questions”