first time try to install, please help...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tiptip
Level 1
Level 1

first time try to install, please help...

Post by tiptip »

Hello, im very newbie <: never had linux , never even see linux on any pc...
so i wanted to try linux, i downloaded linux mint 11, burn it on cd, boot from cd, now i want to install, so i duble click "install linux mint".
i make forward in first screens, then i get to a screen say: "replace windows 7 with linux mint" or "something else", i choose something else cause i want to keep my windows 7 running as well.
then i get window with some partition options, i see the drive i want to install linux on, /dev/sda1 fat32, i formated this drive, so i choose this drive and click the "install now" button, then i get message say: "no root file system is defined. please correct this from partitioning menu"...
here is where i got lost, i read little on net, say something about mounting drives, i look in partition options i have, couldnt find any way to slove this problem for mint 11, i saw some solution for mint 8-9 , but not for 11...
can any1 please help me get this linux started....
thanks a head for all replies/
expat
Level 1
Level 1

Re: first time try to install, please help...

Post by expat »

Ok it's actually really easy once you get used to partitioning. To install your mint 11 you will need a few separate partitions that are used for different things.

I usually set my partitions up like this: 512 MB ext2 file system (this is my /boot partition)
1024 MB (this is my swap partition) size varies, old rule is same amount as your R.A.M I have 4GB R.A.M
20480 MB ext3 or ext4 or Reiserfs file system (this will be root, where all the important stuff goes looks like this / )
20480 MB ext3 or ext4 or Reiserfs or jfs or xfs file system (this will be your home like this /home )

Anything else is optional as I know some like to have a separate partiton for /tmp or for /usr but this is my set up and it works fine for me.

Don't let the ext3 ext4 reiserfs jfs xfs brtfs stuff get to ya either they are all file systems used by linux but for simplicity best to go with safest and stick to either ext 3 or ext 4 and or reiserfs.

Now you mentioned wanting sda1 for linux. I think you should look carefully because windows usually wants the first section of a disc and that's usually sda1.
Your best bet is to boot a live cd or usb of linux mint 11 first and run a program in the menu under administration called gparted. It will show you all the discs you have and tell you where your windows is, then you can safely choose to partition without formatting over windows.

Be very careful with gparted as you can easily erase everything on your computer, be safe and make back ups of anything important first.

Also if you could post some more detailed info regarding your disc size and any partition info you have that would help.

Good luck and have fun with Linux.
Best thing to happen to me ....windows virus that drove me to Linux.
tiptip
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tiptip »

ok first thanks for help, but im little confused to say the true. you use 4 dirrent partitions just to install and use linux? this is little complicated.
can i use like 1 partition for all this things? sorry if i sound stupid, i have no understanding about this things...

some more detailed info regarding your disc size and any partition info:
i have 2 hard discks:

Disk 0 (500GB)
partition 1 (75GB) - windows 7 installed
partition 2 (90GB)
partition 3 (200GB)
partition 4 (110GB)

Disk 1 (300GB)
partition 1 (48GB) - windows 7 was installed, but now i formated it to fat 38 using mint 11
partition 2 (68GB)
partition 3 (95GB)
partition 4 (95GB)

now Disk 0 i want to stay with no changes at all, and i want windows 7 keep running.
what i wanted to do is install mint 11 on Disk 1 - partition 1(where my old windows was), and use partition 2 for software and other stuff...
after i read your post i understand it not work like this.
what you suggest? should i delete all partition on disk 1 and make like you show in you post? or is there i way i can install linux using only partition 1 and 2 from disk 1?
trollboy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by trollboy »

When you have created your partitions, you have to specify what gets mounted there. The only mount point you must have is the root (which is spelled /). Mount points are selected from a drop down in the partitioning screen.

As expat has already said, you should also have a swap partition which is kind of like the swap file in Windows. That should be no bigger than 2GB in my opinion but it does depend on the amount of ram you have. A separate /home partition is also advisable as this is where all the users settings and data lives. It is far easier to re-install with a separate /home directory.

The screenshot here should show where to select the partitions
Mint partitioner showing mount point selector
Mint partitioner showing mount point selector
mint-partition.jpg (54.28 KiB) Viewed 708 times
Have a look at this for a light-hearted introduction to the Linus file system.

For more specific help please boot the Mint CD / DVD and open a terminal, run the command

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
that's a lower case L and post the results here. This will show us your hard disk partitions.
Gnome is dead. Long live XFCE
trollboy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by trollboy »

tiptip wrote: Disk 0 (500GB)
partition 1 (75GB) - windows 7 installed
partition 2 (90GB)
partition 3 (200GB)
partition 4 (110GB)

Disk 1 (300GB)
partition 1 (48GB) - windows 7 was installed, but now i formated it to fat 38 using mint 11
partition 2 (68GB)
partition 3 (95GB)
partition 4 (95GB)
Well, you beat me to it :D

If it was my system, I would remove all partitions on disk 1 300GB and set it up as follows

Partition 1 20GB (mount point /)
Partition 2 2GB (Swap)
Partition 3 Remaining space (Mount point /home)

The usual caveat applies, messing with partition tables can cause massive data loss through power failure, human error or even action of cat and I speak as someone who has experienced all three :eek:. Make sure you have a backup of any data you don't want to lose before going ahead.
Gnome is dead. Long live XFCE
Jix
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jix »

Just select manual/custom installation and make sure you set the options to this when you pick your partition (partition size can be whatever you want):

You have to format your partition to ext3-4 and set Mount Point as / (important), that way you'll have dual Win/Linux boot. You only need a swap partition if you plan on putting your pc/laptop on standby or sleep. I don't have a swap partition.

More here.
tiptip
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tiptip »

OK, i successfully installed linux mint 11 ((:
thanks alot to all of you guys, quick replies, gave me all the info i needed in a way a naab like me can understand (: relly nice people.

Return to “Newbie Questions”