Mint 11 won't let me access my 8gb Geek Squad USB stick

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
thevaliantx
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 11 won't let me access my 8gb Geek Squad USB stick

Post by thevaliantx »

How come I can't access the contents of the usb stick? I am using the Live version of Mint 11, I think.

What I want to do is run a dual install of Mint 11 and Win 7 until I can do everything I need to do in Linux, then it's all Mint for me!

Until I do such an install I need to copy the things I want to save from Win 7 onto the usb stick. I could do this while running Win 7, but why not just be able to do in Mint 11 since I can see the contents of the Windows partition?

Just to be clear, Mint 11 shows that there is a "154b Geek Squad: GS drive", but when I try to open the drive nothing happens. :|

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 11 won't let me access my 8gb Geek Squad USB stick

Post by SimonTS »

Does this USB stick have a password enabled when you access it under Windows 7?

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

It's probably formatted for Windows Systems only.

Anything on it you need to keep? You could format it under Linux.

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

Might be more simple then that.

Download and install gparted

plug in the flash drive and using gparted try telling it to mount to / AKA root.

remove the drive and then plug it back in

Now click menu then computer

Little luck she will now auto mount.
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.

thevaliantx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thevaliantx »

I don't know if it's solved or not, can't remember what I did or did not do (intentionally), but here goes. When trying to access the contents of the usb stick in the explorer feature of Mint 11, I was unable to do so. After closing out the explorer right there on the desktop was an icon for the usb stick. I tried to open that and all was fine. I don't understand what is going on, and truth be told something went catastrophically wrong with the attempted full installation of Mint 11 afterwards (not related to the usb stick issue). In another thread I will talk about what happened when I tried to install Mint 11. :|

Return to “Newbie Questions”