Mint 8 and 9 have crashed after updates......

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rojiru

Mint 8 and 9 have crashed after updates......

Post by Rojiru »

Well they have not totally crashed. (They are both on separate computers) but both have the same problem.
The PC's boot as normal. I get the users panel and can enter the passwords as normal. The passwords are accepted, but instead of going to my home page, it takes me to the terminal which is situated on the top left corner. The background colour is the mint wallpaper.
On the mint 8 version, when clicking on the user name. A panel appears at the bottom of the screen with location, keyboard and a 3rd option KDE and xterm options. I question whether the latter should be Gnome that the xterm refers to the terminal.
Anyway I suppose that the situation is not totally desperate as I have the terminal available.
The question is what commands to use, in order to restore the home pages.

Hope someone can help, thanking you in anticipation.

P.S. It might have been caused by a google chrome update.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rojiru

Re: Mint 8 and 9 have crashed after updates......

Post by Rojiru »

Well I was not going to upgrade my PC's to the latest versions. Although I had been considering moving to the mint Debian version. Given the circumstances I decided to Install mint 11 on my desktop PC and Mint Debian on the Acer Revo. Have yet to upgrade the latter. But so far, I am well impressed with Mint 11. As some one said "Linux Mint is as Linux ought to be. Too early to make any serious review but it's looking good. Scratch that out! not good, excellent. Well done to the Mint Team.
Roger

Return to “Beginner Questions”