Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Locked
hamtastesgood
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 am

Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by hamtastesgood » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:43 am

Why aren't there as many people on this forum as on Ubuntu forums? The people on this forum don't seem to be as knowledgeable.

User avatar
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:59 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by ThistleWeb » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:54 am

Interesting flamebait you got going there. If that were true, there wouldn't be much traffic to see your question, and we wouldn't be knowledgeable enough to guess at an answer. Or it could be that we miss it in the flood of new posts, who knows?

I would be curious to have your explanation for both assertions, why there's not much traffic, and why we're not as knowledgeable.

I'd say things to keep in mind, first that Ubuntu are far larger than many distros put together, there are also corporate backed, so size is relative. Secondly, painting us all with the brush stroke of "not as knowledgeable" is not a great way to start when you ask for help, it sets you off on the wrong foot, where we might take umbridge with the statement and withdraw any help from you, even if we could help and otherwise would have.
Crivens!

hamtastesgood
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 am

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by hamtastesgood » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:01 am

ThistleWeb wrote:Interesting flamebait you got going there. If that were true, there wouldn't be much traffic to see your question, and we wouldn't be knowledgeable enough to guess at an answer. Or it could be that we miss it in the flood of new posts, who knows?

I would be curious to have your explanation for both assertions, why there's not much traffic, and why we're not as knowledgeable.

I'd say things to keep in mind, first that Ubuntu are far larger than many distros put together, there are also corporate backed, so size is relative. Secondly, painting us all with the brush stroke of "not as knowledgeable" is not a great way to start when you ask for help, it sets you off on the wrong foot, where we might take umbridge with the statement and withdraw any help from you, even if we could help and otherwise would have.
Corporate backed? I thought Linux was free.

User avatar
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:59 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by ThistleWeb » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:14 am

Define "free". It's open sourced, large parts are developed by individual users, either as paid roles, or in their spare time, but plenty of large corps also contribute to projects like the kernel. Most distros are community based, which means they rely on donations, advertising, and members of their community to develop, test, spread the word, and help users in IRC and the forums. They don't have any corporate HQ, or paid staff on hand to deal with any of that, it's all volunteer led.

Ubuntu has a corporate backer called Canonical, they have resources to hold developer summits, pay people to do specific jobs they need doing, fund programs etc. Fedora is a RedHat project, so they're corporate backed too, albeit Fedora seem to have more autonomy. OpenSUSE is corporate backed too, but since Novell were sold and broken up, the future of OpenSUSE is very much a question right now.
Crivens!

hamtastesgood
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 am

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by hamtastesgood » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:21 am

ThistleWeb wrote:Define "free". It's open sourced, large parts are developed by individual users, either as paid roles, or in their spare time, but plenty of large corps also contribute to projects like the kernel. Most distros are community based, which means they rely on donations, advertising, and members of their community to develop, test, spread the word, and help users in IRC and the forums. They don't have any corporate HQ, or paid staff on hand to deal with any of that, it's all volunteer led.

Ubuntu has a corporate backer called Canonical, they have resources to hold developer summits, pay people to do specific jobs they need doing, fund programs etc. Fedora is a RedHat project, so they're corporate backed too, albeit Fedora seem to have more autonomy. OpenSUSE is corporate backed too, but since Novell were sold and broken up, the future of OpenSUSE is very much a question right now.
How much do individual users get paid? What's the kernel? How does Canonical find these people?

User avatar
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:59 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by ThistleWeb » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:25 am

I smell a troll.
Crivens!

hamtastesgood
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 am

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by hamtastesgood » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:36 am

ThistleWeb wrote:I smell a troll.
I'm not a troll. I just don't know much about computers or Linux.

User avatar
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:20 am
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by Fandangio » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:46 am

Well then it makes your assumption that people here are "not knowledgeable" even more ridiculous!
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M

User avatar
det4100
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:51 am
Location: New York

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by det4100 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:30 am

brawnypandora0 all over again.......
det4100

Running Mint Debian

hamtastesgood
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 am

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by hamtastesgood » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:30 am

I asked this question

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=74681

before I made this thread you're reading right now.

If you think you are knowledgeable, why hasn't this Java problem been solved yet?

User avatar
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:59 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by ThistleWeb » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:46 am

In case you haven't figured this out yet, volunteers are under NO obligation to lift a finger when they see someone who refuses to help themselves, or decides a good approach is to throw about general insults as an obvious attempt at reverse psychology. "Tell them I don't rate their knowledge, then they'll go even harder to prove me wrong", except with volunteers it doesn't work, they just withdraw their skills and leave you to figure it out on your own. If nothing else, it'll teach you to Google it for yourself. If you have paid support, there are staff who's job it is to find you a solution, no matter how much of a PITA you are.

So many of your questions are VERY simple things that can easily be found with a little research. Starting multiple threads for the same thing just annoys people, as does this flamebait post. If you don't know the answers to some very basic Linux questions such as those you ask, then almost EVERYONE here is more knowledgeable than you currently are, which gives you NO claim over judging us.

In general Linux forums and communities are happy to help others who are willing to help themselves, and have an attitude of willing to learn. It seems you've gotten off on the wrong foot here with some very misguided assumptions and statements. It might be a good idea to step back, take a deep breath and start again, as it's very hard to get help when people ignore you.
Crivens!

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4870
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:31 pm
Location: 0.0.0.0

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by Habitual » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:16 am

hamtastesgood wrote:...If you think you are knowledgeable, why hasn't this Java problem been solved yet?
Fix it yourself. This isn't Burger King.
Linux (in all flavors) is self-serve.
What? You think your "special" somehow or that you are the only one who can't play online java* games using LinuxMint?

Your Posts are littered with insufficient knowledge about anything. RAM, Kernel, Java/Javascript, IcedTea.
Get a clue, try wikipedia if you can find it.

Come back when you've matured.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4870
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:31 pm
Location: 0.0.0.0

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by Habitual » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:23 am

How to find the answer to my own question

go and sin no more.

You are on Double Secret Probation.

User avatar
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4581
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:54 am
Location: Right about here

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by Aging Technogeek » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:04 pm

hamtastesgood,

In this topic

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 81&start=0

You asked a question that was answered correctly at least six times by at least four different people but you either could not or would not understand when you were told that Java came preinstalled on Mint 10 and 11.

I can add from recent checks that it also comes preinstalled on Mint 9. I am posting this from a 10 year old Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop I am rehabbing with Mint 9 XFCE. Without installing anything, I clicked on your link to the Facebook chess site you are trying to use and played a complete game of chess against their computer (I lost).

If you are still having trouble with this, I would suggest you examine your own actions rather than call names that are in no way deserved. In my view and estimation, the only one exhibiting a lack of knowledge here is YOU.
ThistleWeb wrote:I smell a troll.
From all I have seen so far in this and your other posts, I tend to agree.
Registered Linux User 483387

hamtastesgood
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 am

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by hamtastesgood » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:47 pm

If it's installed, then how come it's still not working? Also, why doesn't C++ compete with Java for applets? It seems Java has a monopoly.

User avatar
Tony.B
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: Kent, UK & KZN, South Africa

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by Tony.B » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:58 pm

@ hamtastesgood

In writing this comment, I'm trying to be mindful of the fact that your primary language may not be English, although your username seems to refute this.

If you rephrased your questions, you might get more positive responses. "Java does not appear to be working on my system; can somebody help me with this please?" would be much better than "If it's installed, then how come it's still not working?"

hamtastesgood
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 am

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by hamtastesgood » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Tony.B wrote:@ hamtastesgood

In writing this comment, I'm trying to be mindful of the fact that your primary language may not be English, although your username seems to refute this.

If you rephrased your questions, you might get more positive responses. "Java does not appear to be working on my system; can somebody help me with this please?" would be much better than "If it's installed, then how come it's still not working?"
English is my tertiary language.

User avatar
Tony.B
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: Kent, UK & KZN, South Africa

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by Tony.B » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:27 pm

hamtastesgood wrote:Why aren't there as many people on this forum as on Ubuntu forums? The people on this forum don't seem to be as knowledgeable.
The obvious answer to your question is that there are many more users of Ubuntu than there are of LinuxMint. When people decide to look further afield than Windows, I think that they are more likely to stumble across the Ubuntu operating system first. And when they run into trouble, their first instinct is to turn to Ubuntu's excellent forums for assistance.

It could also be true that perhaps people using LinuxMint have fewer problems, and therefore ask for forum help less frequently than Ubuntu users.

Maybe some people aren't as knowledgeable (and I realise that I fall into that category). Part of the attraction of LinuxMint is that it is more understandable than most of the other operating systems, so we have no need to be computer boffins in order to make it all work. But there are several very knowledgeable people around, and their help is freely available. But please bear in mind that some of them may well be too busy with other aspects of their private lives to give you their undivided attention immediately you throw your toys out of the pram.

User avatar
Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9875
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:21 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by Oscar799 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:30 pm

The OP is now banned from this forum permanently
He/she was already banned under another username and chose to evade that ban by registering a new username and continuing to behave in the way that got him/her banned originally
Thread locked
Image

Locked

Return to “Newbie Questions”