Startup 'error' messages

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
abtygwyn

Startup 'error' messages

Post by abtygwyn »

Is there a way of either pausing or retrieving the information which is displayed on screen during start-up. I ask because it flashes by relatively quickly and I end up having to restart several times to check the information if an error message occurs. Seems to me that the system must still have the information somewhere and it would be easier to retrieve and analyse if it were avaiable in text format.

My current error reads hotplug events dispatcher udevudevd [number] run time error ....... unable to write y 'udev ..... can't remember the rest yet!!

If I could have some help with the first element, that would make life much easier regarding the problem if there is one, with the error message itself.

Thanks in advance

Andrew
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cecar

Re: Startup 'error' messages

Post by cecar »

I have the same error but i don't see anything wrong with how the system works so i have not bothered asking here. But you are not alone. Im running LMDE by the way.
abtygwyn

Post by abtygwyn »

cecar wrote:I have the same error but i don't see anything wrong with how the system works so i have not bothered asking here. But you are not alone. Im running LMDE by the way.
Me too. It may be something to do with the system update. I'm not sure that I'm 100% clued in as to how and when updates should be carried out. The update manager seems a bit flaky at the moment so I've been using the package manager and looking out for updated packages.

Would appreciate a bit of a shove in the right direction from somebody who knows what's what! Thanks

Andrew
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

Most any log is accessible for reading in

Code: Select all

/var/log
. Certain commands provide easier access. You want

dmesg
probably in combination with less, like this