Changing partition numbers

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Jix
Level 2
Level 2

Changing partition numbers

Post by Jix »

I have an image of my Linux partition that was done when it was located in sda5. I'd like to change my partition number to something more orderly like sda3, but whenever I do that my old partition image doesn't work (it was done with CloneZilla). What are my options?
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Changing partition numbers

Post by TBABill »

To better understand your intent, is there a partition at /dev/sda3 that you deleted the data off of and now want your /sda5 to be simply renamed to /sda3 and the space that was previously /sda3 left as empty space? The system identifies your partitions numerically and sequentially so I'm trying to better understand what you are doing with the actual data to get it to be shown on the /sda3 partition by the system and recognized by Grub or Grub2?
Jix
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Changing partition numbers

Post by Jix »

I made a partition image of Linux using CloneZilla. Linux was located on sda5 when I made the image. It originally looked like this:

/sda1: Win7 (C drive)
/sda2: D drive
/sda5: Linux
/sda6: swap

I decided to wipe my entire HDD clean (everything above sda1) and repartition it differently from scratch. Now I want things to look like this:

/sda1: Win7 (C drive)
/sda2: D drive
/sda3: Linux

But CloneZilla doesn't want me to apply the image of the old Linux partition. sda3 is bigger than sda5 used to be, so it's not a size problem. It only lets me reapply the image in a partition numbered sda5. It's annoying.

Return to “Newbie Questions”