Mint 11 fail on z68

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
grw46
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 11 fail on z68

Post by grw46 »

New build, a i5 2500k cpu on a Asrock z68-pro board , I am unable to get either the 32bit or 64bit mint 11 to run reliably. Both systems will randomly freeze or the screen will go to black with noise patterns on the edges , this is both live or installed .
After thinking my build was faulty and a lot of angst I eventually tried Mint 10 and it worked both live and installed. Any thoughts on getting 11 to run , I have used Mint as my primary desk top from the beginning and love to have the latest edition.
Any thoughts on how to fix this would be much appreciated. Please keep it simple I'm a user not a Linux guru :-) !! Cheers Garry

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint 11 fail on z68

Post by AdamS »

1. ACPI

2. GPU

That is where I would start.

acpi is easy to test, turn off screen saver and auto screen off , sleep - hibernate .

Use

Code: Select all

xset dpms force standby
via alt f2 or custom launcher. Update the kernel 2.6.39.1 works awesome with intel.

Make sure the right intel drivers are installed via synaptic. Fully update the system.

Chances are, this is a VERY easy fix.
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.

grw46
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grw46 »

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have just installed mint 11 64 and carried out the first part of your instructions the xset * bit but now am stuck as I don't know where to find the new kernel . cheers Garry

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Or done right, kernelcheck.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kcheck/ ... b/download

Install, then run

Code: Select all

sudo kernelcheck
via terminal.

This will allow you to compile a CUSTOM kernel.

2.6.38.8 6/04/2011 max supported for ATI

2.6.39.1 6/02/2011 for intel and nvidia.
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.

grw46
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grw46 »

WoW that was easy Thank you so much . Cheers Garry

buzz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by buzz »

There is a bug on z68 with the sandy bridge graphics and power saving that causes the black screen with flicking pixels etc. see https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=38492

Return to “Newbie Questions”