mint taking up large part of my harddrive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
timedragon
Level 1
Level 1

mint taking up large part of my harddrive

Post by timedragon »

Hello, I just installed Mint yesterday after using Windows XP. I have a 500gb hardrive and windows would recognize 476gb of it. After I installed Mint my harddrive only appears as having 452gb and 25.4gb are showing used even though all I have installed is Mint. I can see this information in the Computer file browser system under the filesystem properties.The folders in the filesystem do not total up to 25.4gb. When I look at my partition through GParted it says
dev/sda1 ext3 size 459.97 used 9.57
dev/sda2 extended size 5.79gb----
dev/sda5 linux-swap size 5.79----

Is something wrong? Can someone plase explain the partitioning to me and why there are 3 filesystems for linux?
I am really enjoying Mint and I have ordered a couple books to learn more . Would appreciate any responses greatly and look forward to enjoying the wisdom of this forum
Thanks
theboomboomcars
Level 1
Level 1

Re: mint taking up large part of my harddrive

Post by theboomboomcars »

timedragon wrote:Hello, I just installed Mint yesterday after using Windows XP. I have a 500gb hardrive and windows would recognize 476gb of it. After I installed Mint my harddrive only appears as having 452gb and 25.4gb are showing used even though all I have installed is Mint. I can see this information in the Computer file browser system under the filesystem properties.The folders in the filesystem do not total up to 25.4gb. When I look at my partition through GParted it says
dev/sda1 ext3 size 459.97 used 9.57
dev/sda2 extended size 5.79gb----
dev/sda5 linux-swap size 5.79----
sda1 is the first partition on your hard drive, it is 460GB big and 9.57 are being used, I would guess that the 25.4 being shown as used is incorrect, a bug of some sort.

sda2 looks like an unpartitioned space since it does not have a files system type listed. You should be able to use gparted to resize your main partition with that space if you would like.

sda5 is your swap partition. which typically should be between 100%-150% of what your ram is, ie. If you have 2GB of ram you should have between 2 and 3 GB of swap space. This allows for disk caching, which is not typically needed unless you work with very large files, and for suspend to swap.
marvinudy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marvinudy »

timedragon,

I believe the partition scheme on your hard drive is normal. Linux as a general rule runs with a 'swap' partition. Your Linux partition is exceptionally large.

You can create and use up to 4 primary partitions before an 'extended' partition is required as a 'holding' place to create 'logical' partitions. A rule of thumb on 'swap' partitions is to size it at about 2X your memory capacity.

All partitions require 'overhead space'. The drive itself also requires basic 'overhead space'. More partitions require more 'overhead space'.

Once you get comfortable with the basics of partitioning, I recommend you repartition your drive into multiple partitions so you can add/evaluate other Linux distributions and/or even install Windows on one of the extra partitions. I seem to remember that IDE drives can take up to 26 partitions but SATA drives are limited to 15 partitions.

If you do a 'google' search you can find excellent information on how to partition a hard drive with various advanced options of where to place various linux directories. ie-root,var,home,sbin etc.

WARNING
Before you embark on any fancy partitioning scheme, make sure you fully understand the 'boot loader' concept. Failure to do so will cause you a lot of grief and aggravation.

I currently run two SATA drives with a total of 25 partitions to support my craze as a 'distro junkie'.

Welcome to the Linux world.

marvinudy
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

There are a few errors here
The swap partition is as someone remarked very large, but it is placed within an extended partition as it should be. You should always put the swap in an extended partition.
But - there is only room for four primary partitions, the extended included, not 4 + extended as stated above.
The extended partition contains logical partitions (right now just one)
On a SATA/SCSI disk the maximum number of partitions is 15, this is due to limitations in the standard (hardware)
On an IDE disk at least 63 partitions is possible. However 26 as mentioned is the maximum in Windows as windows runs out of drive letters.
The wiki and this forum has lots of good info on partitioning
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _partition
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Return to “Newbie Questions”