Help, I really need to get this app working

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gms9810
Level 1
Level 1

Help, I really need to get this app working

Post by gms9810 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:09 am

I've been trying to get my wife to appreciate Linux but so far all she's seen is the trouble I've had, which was due to my own lack of knowledge, but it's what she saw. She's seen all the massive terminal commands and thinks Linux is a fun toy to play with but thats it. Then last night she asked me if it had a cross stitch design program. I didn't think it did but lo and the software manager listed one, http://sourceforge.net/projects/kxstitch/ so I installed it. The software manager says it's installed, I went to the usr/ applications folder (I know that's not exactly the right path) and the folder for it is there and has files in it but there is nothing in the software menu and no way that I can see to use or open it. I've tried right reloading the plugins via a right click but nothing. There is no sense in my trying to download the tar.gz file because I have yet to ever been able to install any file that way. I really seriously want my wife to be able to use this so she won't think Linux is just a pain. Help. Help. Help....

Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Help, I really need to get this app working

Post by Garvan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:46 am

Kxstitch is not in the Software manager or in the Package Manager on Mint 11, so I think you need to tell us exactly how you installed it. If you downloaded the file from the link you gave us, then you have to compile and install the application, and you may not have the required libraries installed. If you downloaded the source, then did unpack the file, and did you follow the instructions in the readme file?

Garvan
Notebook: HP 14 Notebook PC 14-r003TX, i5-4210U @ 1.7 GHz, 8GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (Dual boot with Win 10)
Notebook: DELL latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2

dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:48 am

You have to start the app through the terminal.
Just open a terminal, write kxstitch and hit enter.

To make a launcher... http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... er#p440179

gms9810
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gms9810 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:48 pm

No, once i switched to KDE desktop it works fine. thanks anyway.

Return to “Newbie Questions”