update manager icon malfunctioning?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stepfen

update manager icon malfunctioning?

Post by stepfen »

Hello there,

I am trying LMDE for few weeks now and I noticed a strange behavior of the update manager icon on the bottom panel.

It shows the system as being “up to date,” constantly, even after I manually refresh it (right click on the icon and refresh) while I know there are available updates.

Apt-get finds and installs the updates from the command line ( when I run apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade).

In addition however, apt-get would occasionally keep back some packages from upgrading. Following this, if I manually refresh the update manager (right click and refresh on the icon) the update manager picks the kept back packages as available updates and offers me to install them!! A couple of minutes earlier - before updating/upgrading with apt-get - update manager would insist that my system was up to date even if I manually refreshed it... !

Any idea what causes this strange behavior??

Thanks a lot...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gerd50

Re: update manager icon malfunctioning?

Post by Gerd50 »

Hello stepfen,

what you are talking about is a well known problem with the update manager. The best thing you can do with it is,
delete and forget it, instead of breaking you your head over it :wink:
stepfen

Post by stepfen »

Thanks to let me know....

I forgot that LMDE or Ubuntu, I am still in linux :?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Code: Select all

apt clean

apt install -f
If you've cleaned up APT, it may work again.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
stepfen

Post by stepfen »

AlbertP wrote:

apt clean

apt install -f
If you've cleaned up APT, it may work again.
Even after cleaning up APT I noticed that refreshing from the update manager icon takes only few seconds, while "apt-get update" takes about 30 seconds to download all the info from the repositories...

Seems like right click refresh works only after apt-get has manually been updated from the command line (apt-get update)

Thanks anyway

Return to “Beginner Questions”