Brand New Mint user

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bratas

Brand New Mint user

Post by bratas »

Really I am a new Linux user as well. I have tried Ubuntu off and on for the last couple of weeks but have never really got into it, mainly because of the feel. I discovered Mint 11 last night. From the second it loaded up I was more comfortable with it immediately.

I was reading Considerations before you install and it raised further questions.
Here is the system I want to have running Mint.

cpu - i7-2600k OC'ed to 5.1Ghz
mobo - Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3
RAM - 8GB G.Skill 1866 OC'ed to 2133
GPU - Nvidia GTX 570 SC (SLI)
SSD - Corsair Performance 3 128GB
HDD - Samsung F3 1TB

According to the statement in Considerations before installing I am almost double the RAM amount mentioned. Is this going to cause issues?
Is TRIM supported with Mint or Linux in gerenal for the SSD? If it is not do I just rely on the Garbage Collection of the SSD? It has been mentioned that defrag is still needed for Linux, I had it disabled in Win7 for health of SSD.
What is the best recommended partition break outs for my listed system?
Assuming the install of Mint is on the SSD, can I specify in Mint for the page file to be on the HDD and not the SSD?
Will Mint recognize the SLI or is there anything I will have to do to make it recognize it?
When I had Ubuntu 11.04 installed I tried to update to the latest Nvidia driver, 275.09.07 assuming it is the best for the GTX 570's graphics. Is this the recommended driver and if so how do I install it in Mint?
Does Mint recognize Physics of the GTX 500 series?
The only game I play right now is Starcraft 2, what is the best recommended way to install and play it within Mint? Once Diablo III comes out I may be playing that "if I have the time".

In order to accomplish these things do I need to do the commands in terminal or is there some other way, if in terminal what are the commands? I understand that sudo is basically enable mode like on my Routers and Switches, giving me root access for the specific command.

I guess that is enough stupid questions for now, I am sure I will probably be the irritating one atleast for the next few days/weeks until I get a better feel for this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kernowmint

Re: Brand New Mint user

Post by kernowmint »

I'm not technically minded and I'm still a relative newbie myself, but I'll try to help with a couple of your questions:

Drivers - If you go to the Control Centre in Mint Menu, in the Hardware section you can find an item for additional drivers and this will bring up any drivers Mint thinks would be useful to you.

Stargate 2 - I've never heard of this game, but if it's made for Windows you could try running it in Wine which is in the Mint repositories.

Partitioning - from what I've read, there are as many opinions about that as there are Linux users! If you've had Ubuntu on before, you'll have a swap partition which you can keep. Then it's a matter of deciding whether you want separate partitions for things like root, /home, /boot etc. My PC actually came with a separate Data partition on it, so I've been able to keep that for my document storage and I've never had to worry about creating a separate /home partition, but they say that if you keep /home separate, you can upgrade without losing your settings.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

About SSD: Defrag is not needed. TRIM has to be enabled by adding the discard option in /etc/fstab. Partitioning (alignment) is done right automatically.

The page file is called swap. When you are using the advanced partitioning, you can place it wherever you want on all disks in your computer. SATA, PATA, HDD, SSD, USB stick, memory card, all possible as long as the hardware is Linux-compatible. But if you want to hibernate, you have to make sure that it's a bit bigger than your amount of RAM.

The graphics driver is in the 'Additional Drivers' program.
If you install the NVidia graphics driver (version 270 is included in the repository) the SLI and GeForce GTX 570 will work OK (if you can get the driver to work). This is just like Ubuntu. Here is a PPA with the 275 driver: https://launchpad.net/~staff-pro-unreal ... a-backport

StarCraft II can run with Playonlinux. This program is in the repository.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
bratas

Post by bratas »

Ok one thing checked off so far, TRIM is enabled.

Nvidia drivers are active but not in use, how do I fix this?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please run this command, and reboot:

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-xconfig
If it does not work, uninstall the driver, reboot (important!), and then install the driver again.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
ds2992

Post by ds2992 »

first off. Welcome! I hope you enjoy linux be patient it will be worth it.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... +the+trade
I found this to be very helpful.
I recommend changing to a stable release as soon as possible unless your smater than me which aint hard. It will be less stressful for you to learn linux and not have to deal with too many unknown variables and bugs. mint 10 is tried and true at this point. mint 11 is still new and so may have a lot of issues you may not be ready for. as well mint debian squeeze is the stable release of mint debian as opposed to sid.

Return to “Beginner Questions”