is swap partition necessary

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
viking
Level 1
Level 1

is swap partition necessary

Post by viking » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:45 pm

Do I still need a swap partition if I have 3gb of physical ram?

cptnwinky
Level 1
Level 1

Re: is swap partition necessary

Post by cptnwinky » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:42 pm

That really depends on what you plan on doing with your computer. If you plan on running services from it that will take a lot of memory it would probably be wise to have a swap partition so that you can maximize the lifetime of your server. On the other hand, if you only plan on running some office software, internet and email, possibly some games then the answer would probably be no. Overall, it would be up to you to study your habits over time to determine whether swap space is necessary.

I suppose you could do this by setting up a cronjob to run programs like `free` or `top` every so often and piping the results to some sort of database (csv or otherwise) that you can parse later to extract meaningful information about your average usage of ram. This would be fairly simple to setup using nothing more than bash scripting, although python would make life more exciting.

Noob Saibot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Noob Saibot » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:14 pm

Hope Im not hijacking your thread but, does anyone know if you had a full 4G of memory and were in 64bit mode, would you still need swap memory, and would a 1:1 ratio still be recommended?
Enjoying the Mint Experience
"(to touch the earth is to have harmony with nature)" -hippy

Sunny Rabbiera
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sunny Rabbiera » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:47 pm

well even with a good amount of memory swap memory can come in handy, especially if something freezes...
and yes stuff can still freeze even with loads of memory

enchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enchance » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:09 am

Noob Saibot wrote:Hope Im not hijacking your thread but, does anyone know if you had a full 4G of memory and were in 64bit mode, would you still need swap memory, and would a 1:1 ratio still be recommended?
It's always good to have swap regardless of how much memory you may have. The best swap setting would be 2x the amount of ram, but since you have so much ram, stick with 1024mb at best.
It's not that hard to train a pengiun to do stunts. Just say, sudo roll-over or sudo play-dead.
Caffeine-induced designs by http://www.johnimbong.com

Acid7711
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Acid7711 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:08 am

enchance wrote:
Noob Saibot wrote:Hope Im not hijacking your thread but, does anyone know if you had a full 4G of memory and were in 64bit mode, would you still need swap memory, and would a 1:1 ratio still be recommended?
It's always good to have swap regardless of how much memory you may have. The best swap setting would be 2x the amount of ram, but since you have so much ram, stick with 1024mb at best.
I'd agree there. There are certain programs that 'expect' there to be swap, your amount of ram having no bearing on it's need/use of physical swap. However, in my experience, I personally use only a gig of swap when having 2+ gigs of ram. That's just me.

67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:41 am

Hibernate needs swap space to work.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Return to “Newbie Questions”