Yikes! UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY . . .

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
wwoof
Level 1
Level 1

Yikes! UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY . . .

Post by wwoof » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Got his message yesterday and have been going in circles trying to resolve it by following the directions on screen. (I dual boot between XP and Mint Debian so you know where I am writing from right now.) The initial message:

/dev/sda2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

fsck died with exit 4 status

failed (code 4)

At that point I have put in the root password and was given a new prompt. At that prompt I entered: fsck .

The reply is:

fsck from util-linux-ng 2.172

fsck.ext3: unable to resolve

'UUID=385ecaeg-bd34-41c3-9524-974b8cd6d17f

The maintenance shell never appeared.

I have been using an SSD for about six months now and this is the first sign of a problem--if that is the problem. I use Mint for all my daily internetting and rarely use XP at all except for streaming a Netflix. I'm hoping there is a way to over come this rather than reload,

Please, any suggestions?

Thanks.

wwoof
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Yikes! UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY . . .

Post by wwoof » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:51 pm

Guys, this is critical......

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:24 pm

All I can think to say is try giving people more information. Spell it out better for folks. Read the OP and somewhat get the rough facts of the problem you're having.

What's on sda2 ? ... Which OS's are still booting ? Do you have reintall discs for those OS's ?

Might not be a bad idea to get a data recovery tool and see what it can do with whatever is on your ssd too. I mean I strongly dislike ubuntu. One of the reasons I stopped using Mint. But then with the Debian based Mint. Seems like people often experience breakage. Well some people do. Suggests that lmde etc still has many rough edges in terms of being everyday OS ready.

So the situation may be critical. Thinking data recovery tools, but it's also critical to select the right tool for the job. Which in your case you chose lmde or whichever. I like LM and esp the Mint community, but am still not sure Mint debian based stuff is the perfect choice for dependable everyday computing. Unless you're a nix guru who has no problems sorting out and/or avoiding breakage.

wwoof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wwoof » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:29 pm

WOW. I just did a search and found this is not some "mysterious" error message. After just browsing through a few quick posts I found the magic cmd:

sudo fsck -y /dev/sdax

x = your designated partition number.

I'm back in action....what a scare.

What causes this?

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:42 pm

Am not sure when it comes to lmde, havent used it. Many people are finding/saying it's great for them. Also don't have mucho experience with ssd's. Whatever else, glad ya found the fix ya needed.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:01 pm

Save all your open work/files... and open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -rF now
will fsck on reboot.

Return to “Newbie Questions”