installing a Trendnet TEW-424UB wireless adapter

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
collieman2

installing a Trendnet TEW-424UB wireless adapter

Post by collieman2 »

Hi Everybody, My system is home built and consists of a 2.6 P4/533, 1 gig RAM and a 20 gig HD just for testing Mint. I have been unable to get my TEW 424UB wireless adapter installed. I've been using ndis for this from the start menu/favorites. I downloaded the latest drivers for it from Trendnet. When I try to install the INF. file I get and "invalid driver" error message and the computer freezes. The adapter is a good one as I can use it on a windows puter with no problem. I tried the INF files from Win 98, 2000, ME and XP but with the same result. What am I missing? Thanks guys/gals
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
edwardr

Re: installing a Trendnet TEW-424UB wireless adapter

Post by edwardr »

I bought a TEW 424UB version 3.1 specifically because I read that it had a good track record of working with Linux out of the box. And it worked just fine on my Linux Mint 9 Xfce system. I did not need to use ndis, the wireless worked when plugged in. Does the wireless work on that machine if you boot from a live CD or USB? If so, then you may need to remove whatever was installed under ndis before the native Linux drivers work.
collieman2

Post by collieman2 »

Edwardr, No, the wireless wouldn't work with Live CD. I hoped that installing would take care of that. I have no drivers installed (because they wouldn't install) now under ndis but a reboot doesn't bring the adapter to life. I did some research on what distro is good with wireless and Mint was supposed to be a good one. BTY, I'm using Mint 11.
collieman2

Post by collieman2 »

I was telling my co-worker today about Mint but couldn't get my wireless usb adapter to work. He let me borrow 2 PCI adapters. A Linksys and an old Cisco. Brought them home. Installed in an open PCI slot. Booted up and it was detected right away. Tried the other one also and it worked as well. Just had to enter my WEP key and I was online. I guess I'll have to invest in a PCI adapter. So I will buy a good HD and a PCI adapter tomorrow and enjoy Mint.
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

Sounds like you have a plan. Bummer about the Trendnet. I bought it because I was tired of the silly antenna on the PCI wireless card breaking off. Here's a word of warning - don't mess around behind your PC too much after you install the PCI wireless, those antennas can break easily.
collieman2

Post by collieman2 »

I went to a local computer repair shop and bought a D-Link PCI wireless card. Installed it in a PCI slot. Booted up and guess what? The computer didn't see it. So I tried ndis but still no go. I don't understand why Linux has to be so tough on wireless installing. I've tried many distros and they are all the same with installing wireless. This is taking up too much of my time so I'm throwing in the towel. I can hear Gates laughing at me. Thanks for the replies guys.
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

Have you tried running the "Hardware Drivers" program? In my Mint 9 Xfce it is in the menu at /System/Hardware Drivers. It will take a minute while it runs before you see anything, then it will tell you if you need any proprietary drivers. If you do, plug the computer into a wired connection to get internet access, then click the "Activate Drivers" button on the Hardware Drivers window to download and install the drivers. If the computer does not have access to a wired connection, borrow your friends pci card that worked, boot up with both your friend's pci card and your Trendnet installed or both your friend's pci card and your new pci card installed, then run the Hardware Drivers program and install the drivers.
collieman2

Post by collieman2 »

I ran the "hardware drivers" program. It said "no proprietary are in use on this system". I did what you suggested, ran the program with the same result. I installed the D-Link .INF but the computer still doesn't see the PCI card. But at least it doesn't freeze while installing it.
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

How about trading the wireless card you bought for one of your friend's cards that worked?

Return to “Beginner Questions”