Live USB - adding software

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sagarchandratrey
Level 1
Level 1

Live USB - adding software

Post by sagarchandratrey »

Hi All
I have a linux mint 11 Live USB and I want to add additional softwares to it..I installed Kazam while on a Live session using the USB.But when I used the same USB on a different machine in a different session, it did not show up Kazam...It had vanished...Then where was the software installed the first time?Why did it vanish after the session...?I don't want it to vanish...How can I do this?Please help !!!
SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Live USB - adding software

Post by SimonTS »

When you create a LiveCD using the normal method, it is almost identical to creating a LiveCD or LiveDVD. You cannot then modify it - it has no 'persistence'.

There are two ways to achieve what you want to do - you can either creat a USB with persistence (Unetbootin provides this option for Ubuntu-based distros) or you could actually install Mint to the USB stick so that it is functioning as a hard-drive installation would.

Return to “Newbie Questions”