Min Spec?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Min Spec?

Post by chowanec »

Hi all...

This is embarrasing to ask -- as I know Linux will run pretty damn well on most setups... but I have to ask for my own sake... please bear with me. :)

I'm installing (or planning to) Mint on one of those Mini-ITX systems. The goal was to create a basic music server with as few moving parts as possible (heat sinks instead of fans, low-powered processing, etc.) I searched the forums but couldn't find much -- so, a simple yes (things will work) or no (you're screwed go to a lighter weight linux distro.) Bear in mind, my 18 month old is watching me type this, so if you say no, you're hurting the baby.

So:
Motherboard: VIA C7 EX10000EG
-1ghz processor
-VIA CX700M2 Chipset
-Integrated VIA UniChrome PRO 2
-1gb RAM

Thoughts?

-Chow
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Min Spec?

Post by JohnH »

This is equally embaassing,

Does your machine have a CD drive? (Thats the embarrassing bit because I can't make sense of your specs) If so, put the Mint disk in it and reboot (making sure it can boot from the CD). This will run Mint (slowly) without installing it. If everything works, then install.

Cheers
John
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

The only trouble I see is the VIA card, which has poor linux support. It might work with the OpenChrome driver, though I have no idea.
But it looks ok, 1 GB ram is more than enough, the prosessor are a bit small, but I am guessing it will work OK.
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chowanec »

Thanks to both of you.

Yes, I have a CD-ROM that I'll be using for the liveinstall. And yeah, I'm planning on using the OpenChrome drivers... worst case is that I can get a video card for this little box, but, like I said, I'm trying to build it as bare as possible. I'm not going to be using it for TOO much... thoeretically though the motherboard has component video out... which, for whatever reason, I was attracted to. :P

Cheers,

Chow

Return to “Beginner Questions”