[SOLVED] How to add a program to the menu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] How to add a program to the menu

Post by CtrlAltDel »

I am trying to add a Firefox Tor Browser icon to the menu and can't seem to quite figure it out. I right click the menu button on the panel and select "edit menu." Then I select New Item, give it a name, and paste this:

/home/linux/tor-browser_en-US/start-tor-browser

into the command box.

This command will open the browser when pasted into the terminal but, it doesn't show up at all in the menu. The entry appears when I go back and select "edit menu" again to see if it's there but, when normally selecting Menu, the entry does not appear.

Any help appreciated.
Last edited by CtrlAltDel on Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 20 Cinnamon / i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720 / 8 GB Memory
jose_r
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to add a program to the menu

Post by jose_r »

Have you tried to drag the shortcut (while editing) to the Internet section (or other)?
I think individual shortcuts won't appear in the main Applications menu.
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel »

jose_r wrote:Have you tried to drag the shortcut (while editing) to the Internet section (or other)?
I think individual shortcuts won't appear in the main Applications menu.
I have, Jose. When I attempt to drag the newly created shortcut into the Internet category, it will pop up underneath the Internet category and not actually place itself inside of it.

Also, I have tried highlighting the Internet category and then selecting New Item and creating the shortcut and this doesn't work either. When I do this, the newly created shortcut appears way down at the bottom of the listed items, down below Universal Access.

I can't seem to get the shortcut inside of another category. It's like you say and it will only place itself in the main applications menu and I can't access it.
jose_r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jose_r »

You have to drag to the internet section in the left box, not in the right one.

Alternatively, you can create the shortcut in the Internet section, also, you have to select the Internet section in the left box.
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel »

jose_r wrote:You have to drag to the internet section in the left box, not in the right one.

Alternatively, you can create the shortcut in the Internet section, also, you have to select the Internet section in the left box.
Thank you, Jose. That worked great.

Return to “Newbie Questions”