Switched to LMDE.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
fapple
Level 1
Level 1

Switched to LMDE.

Post by fapple »

When I click to install the updates in the update manager it says. Could not apply changes! Fix broken packages first
SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Switched to LMDE.

Post by SimonTS »

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Open the Package Manager (from the Menu), choose Edit -> Fix Broken Packages.
amina
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amina »

Hi fapple, welcome to LMDE :D

Unfortunately all new LMDE installs start with this error message atm. One solution could be to sudo apt-get install mintupdate BUT:

We just got the new LMDE update system, so you can follow this howto:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=76556
(basically, change your sources.list to one of the two shemes you can find in this post, then do an apt-get update and install mintupdate-debian).

You can decide which repo (incoming/latest) you would like to use after reading Clem's post that introduces the new system: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1781
Recommend you to always check "Update Pack Info" before doing the updates.
artouk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by artouk »

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
run this, once its done (takes a while) you should be good to go.
fapple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fapple »

SimonTS wrote:Let me Google that for you...

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Could+not+appl ... ages+first
0/10
SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

0/10? Meaning what? That you didn't find the answer you wanted from Google, or that you just wanted somebody to give you the answer, rather than you having to actually do a bit of looking for yourself?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

SimonTS, the question that was asked is fine. The wording used might have effected the Google search results and it only took a minute for someone to jump in and help out. The original poster has only posted 4 times and we all want the poster to have a good experience here. We were all new to this at one time ourselves.
SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

@Exploder,

I understand that and, yes, we were all newbies once - I still consider myself to be a newbie who has a lot to learn. To my way of thinking, one of the best ways of learning is to try and find things yourself first. I was simply trying to point Fapple in the right direction, rather than spoon-feeding him an answer. My problem is that we are all here trying to help people out from our own goodness, not because we are paid for it, and I didn't appreciate that comment from someone who came here asking for help. Maybe it was the wrong way to go about it with him, but I don't feel that it warrants that reply.
amina
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amina »

Basically, in this case the error message is misleading, we all know there are no broken packages.

Return to “Newbie Questions”