Hello - I'm a newbiee!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ItzAmyxx
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - I'm a newbiee!

Post by ItzAmyxx »

Hi everyone!

My name is Amy and I'm looking at maybe switching from Vista to Mint!

I have a few questions that perhaps some of you may be kind enough to answer?

1) What happens when I want to play a Windows game on my Laptop? is this not doable any more? Am I doomed to never play dragon age PC ever again :(

2) Is it hard to install a new OS? I don't have any experience in doing it! I like to think I know my way around a computer though...

3) Do normal software's work on Mint? Such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc

4) Should I switch? That's the key question! I've been considering it for a long time now but I think the times getting closer where I might do it - what benefits can you give me that mint has over windows?

5) Will I lose all my work, pictures, videos etc if I install Mint, essentially bringing my laptop back to factory settings?

Thank you for reading my post and thank you (hopefully!) for posting your thoughts (you clever lot!) - I hope to read some of your responses soon!

Take care
x
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Hello - I'm a newbiee!

Post by wayne128 »

Welcom to Mint forum.
1) What happens when I want to play a Windows game on my Laptop? is this not doable any more? Am I doomed to never play dragon age PC ever again :(
Windows is still best in game playing.
You can retain windows OS if you choose to dual boot with Linux OS.
2) Is it hard to install a new OS? I don't have any experience in doing it! I like to think I know my way around a computer though...
It is always difficult on the first time. Some learning curve is required.
However, installing Windows OS is actually more difficult, you need to install OS, install driver, update, install antivirus, etc

On Linux, the OS had most or all drivers already become part of the kernel, so often it took people about 10 minute to 30 minutes to installed ( of course that is after much experience).
3) Do normal software's work on Mint? Such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc
Windows program does not work in Linux OS.
however some Linux program such as Wine can run 'some' windows programs ( some cannot run).
another way people do is, run Linux OS, install virtualbox ( or VM), add Win OS as guess OS in virtualbox, then win OS will run within Linux.
Many people find that convenience, especially for those windows programs that cannot run in Wine, or some other method inside Linux.
4) Should I switch? That's the key question! I've been considering it for a long time now but I think the times getting closer where I might do it -
Yes, do it. just take some learning curve. Just need to have determination plus time.
what benefits can you give me that mint has over windows?
Not just mint, but Linux OS, I cannot say for you, but for me a few advantage after I learn how to install Linux OS and play with them is
1. Get a sense of freedom.
2. Improve my knowledge in computer
3. I can help lots of people to revive old machines. such as

a. one old laptop, crawl with win XP, run very well with Puppy Linux, donated to old folk who did not learn any computer, and now can use it for web surfing, listen to songs, bible, watch youtube.

b. a vista computer given up by one relative, because it took 10 minutes to start, 15 mins to shutdown.. in fact I am using this computer running Linux now, to type this post.
I have five Linux OS running in this computer ( for my learning and playing). start up is less than 1 minute, shutdown less than 15 seconds ( yes, 15 seconds, not minutes).

5) Will I lose all my work, pictures, videos etc if I install Mint, essentially bringing my laptop back to factory settings?
This is hard to say, because anytime when you do something on computer, there is a chance to make mistake. So it is safer to have
a. original windows OS CD
b. all windows drivers.
c. save all data
so that you can reinstall if something happen.

If you are experience, you would be able to install dual boot or multi boot, so that Windows OS is intact, as long as your hard disk is large enough and can give Linux a fair bit of space.

Or, you can just buy a low cost USB hard disk, use this to play and learn Linux OS, this way you can learn without changing the original Windows OS.

Or you can start even with just a 4G Usb Stick, may be cost less than USD9.
then learn it for a while. It will be slower compare to USB drive.
USB drive is quite cheap nowadays and with standard size like 360G to 500G, you can install so many Linux OS and learn.. It is worth buying one.
Last edited by wayne128 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ItzAmyxx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ItzAmyxx »

Thank you for your reply!

I appears that maybe Linux isn't the right option for me! My job (Marketing/Web management) relies on being able to run programmes such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver and the like.

Rather sad about that :(
fletcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fletcher »

1. It is true that Windows games will not run on Linux, though WINE is an option, as is PlayOnLinux. I do not know how well it works, since I do not use it. The couple of games I tried did not work well. My sister was unable to get her WOW to work, so she runs it on a different computer.

2. I would not say it is hard, but it is not necessarily easy. I did not have a problem when I switched, and I did not know very much about computers at the time. I have now done dozens of installs and started a company to help people make the switch, or just add Linux to their options. There is a learning curve, but I taught myself without much pain. Just depends on how much you want it.

3. It looks like this is where your biggest problems would be. The Adobe programs will not work in Linux, and if they work in WINE (again, I do not know) they would be slow.

There are alternatives in Linux, though. GIMP is a replacement for PhotoShop, but I think it does work differently and would take some learning/adjustment. For web development, there is Kompozer or Bluefish, as well as some others, but those are the ones I know. Kompozer is similar to Dreamweaver, but definitely not identical. I have used both Kompozer and Dreamweaver a little, but not much.

I am (sort of) trying to learn Drupal for web development. But that, think, is very different than Dreamweaver. I have not really used it, but I know that people build some great sites with it. the Drupal site, drupal.org, has links to a lot of sites built with it, as well as some info on how to get started with it. But if you are familiar with Dremaweaver, you may not want to learn a new program.

4. As to should you switch, that is kind of a silly question (IMO) in a Linux forum. People here are likely to say yes emphatically. I have been very satisfied since I switched to Linux about two years ago. And Linux is now all I run. I have five flavors of Mint on my computer, as well as Peppermint Two, just to play around. I have also used Ubuntu, Fedora, ZorinOS (in the early days of that OS), and many others. I found that I like Mint the best.

My favorite benefits of Linux, especially over Vista, which I ran before, are speed and ease of use (after I learned it). I like how I can do things in Linux, and the fact that I have a lot more control. I also like that right now there are no viruses (that I know of) for Linux. That can always change, though.

I would say switch if you can work out the issues you have with needing certain software for work. Or run a dual-boot computer.

5. As wayne128 said, everything would need to be backed up. That is what I had to do when I made the full switch (I stated with a Wubi install of Ubuntu). Now I have all my personal files on their own partition so that they are less likely to be lost when I do new installs. Still a good idea to do backups, though. I have an external hard drive that I use for that purpose. Doing a full backup of all personal data and files is the only way to keep everything, as far as I know.

Hope this helps.

As wayne128 said, you could always give Mint (or any other Linux OS) a shot on a USB stick or from a live CD. That is actually a good idea, anyway, before switching, to learn it and see if you like it. Tht was the reason I started with a WUBI install.
ItzAmyxx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ItzAmyxx »

Hi Fletcher!

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I was just dreaming - there is no way I could do my job without Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash pro and Illustrator! Gimp is far to simplistic for what I do :(

Perhaps when I upgrade my computer i'll keep my old one and give it a go then, but for now I guess Linux will have to wait for me!

Thank you for your answers, Linuxboys - perhaps I'll join your wonderful community soon!

x
jose_r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jose_r »

Hi ItzAmyxx,
just to stress something that Wayne and Fletcher said (trying to keep you from abandoning us :D ), you can have both Windows and Linux Mint installed on the same computer.
This solution is called dual boot, and it is the best solution if you need to use "heavy" Windows software like the programs you work with or games. With dual boot, each time you start your computer you can choose if you want to use Linux Mint or Windows.

This guide seems very descriptive, if you want to try it:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/06/11/du ... windows-7/

Remember that this could lead to data loss and a nonworking computer :!: , so don't do it if you don't feel confident about it.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

ItzAmyxx wrote: I guess I was just dreaming - there is no way I could do my job without Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash pro and Illustrator! Gimp is far to simplistic for what I do :(
actually Gimp is not simplistic at all but some addons and also som eother things are needed to elevate it to higher level. it is different. but ti has most things that photoshop has. not all though. and it really depends on what you actually do to photos in photoshop. dreamweaver is basically a HTML editor. plenty of those arround and some new ones comming up/developed.

what helped me with a switch is that i was already using a lot of opensource programmes in windows. that way i didnt' have much problems regarding linux programmes (as they are the same).

still Linux is not for everyone. unfortunatelly plenty software makers still don't support it (not big enough user base) though things may change with Adrnoid and other OSes based on linux comming to the forefront.

as suggested dual boot option is good to start out with, see if it all work and how many things work. for example certain phtoshop versions work nicely using Wine (application layer). so i would say carve 30Gb of your disk and stick a linux on it.. see where it takes you. you can always remove it later if you find it useless or use that disk part for recovery purposes. or if Windows part gets a nasty virus you can use it as cure. :-) you see, from linux you will be able to access data on your windows parition.

make sure you defragment the disk at least two times (second time will be faster) before partitioning.

if you think linux is not for you at least upgrade your windows to 7 , Vista is a mess....
ItzAmyxx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ItzAmyxx »

Hi everyone!

I'll take a look at dual booting for sure!

As for the comments regarding Dreamweaver - it's not that I couldn't use a different Web Builder it's that I already have thousands upon thousands of CSS/HTML/FLV (etc etc!) already on our server and all through Dreamweaver. It would be such a huge task to change them to fit another program and then learn that program - Dreamweaver is my baby ^.^.

Certainly though - i'll take a look!

Many thanks everyone! x
blueXrider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blueXrider »

Might I say this is a ping-pong tournament.

Question for you Newbiee.

What are your real reasons to change? I know what mine was. I do professional photography and here en-lies the problem. What so I do with my Adobe Photoshop if I can't run it on Linux? I do run it on Linux.

I was afraid I would loose my ability to keep in touch with my friends and family if I switched to Linux. NOT TRUE!
I was afraid that I wouldn't keep up with my clients if I switched. NOT TRUE!

Once I downloaded and installed that first Linux Distro I set myself free. PERIOD.

You can try a distribution on a LiveCD without effecting your current operating system.

Give it a shot. Nothing lost nothing gained.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

ItzAmyxx wrote: As for the comments regarding Dreamweaver - it's not that I couldn't use a different Web Builder it's that I already have thousands upon thousands of CSS/HTML/FLV (etc etc!) already on our server and all through Dreamweaver. It would be such a huge task to change them to fit another program and then learn that program - Dreamweaver is my baby ^.^.
Aside from FLV files it shouldnt' matter where they are at and dont' need to be downloaded to be accesse. and also all these editors - they look alike ;-) so not much to learn there really. if you know the programing lanugage
[/quote]

then again no one is going to force you anything. in my opinion it is good to at least learn another system. Linux (Android as well as WebOS are linux based) is increasing it's share in Tablet and Smartphone market. might be wise to know little about it and the whole philosophy behind it. who knows maybe via tablets it could "jump" to being popular in desktops.

at the moment it's biggest issues are software and hardware support. hardware support already got very good, now all that is left is software support. as soon as Adobe and the like see the market on linux based systems (could happen via tablets) they will start offering linux versions. once that starts...

Another thing why it's good to knwo the os (especialyl if oyu are inweb development) is that most web servers are linux based. and most linux desktops come fromservers (well actually many new windows come from servers as well) but the way linux implements it is much better.

Return to “Newbie Questions”