Installing Linux Mint 11 Katya

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TriOS

Installing Linux Mint 11 Katya

Post by TriOS »

I'm new to Linux, my first distribution of Linux was Ubuntu 11.04 32 bit. I have been a member in the community and on another forum for about few months now. My second distribution was Fedora 15. My currently attentions are to either install Linux Mint 11 katya on a CD or another method. I currently have a blank CD which can hold 700mb. I have waited a total of 3 hours at different times trying to install Linux Mint 11 katya, I once had the file size of 683mb which would be possible to transfer the data to the cd but, it is giving me issues, when I transfered and try to reboot the data gets deleted, also I have tried manually programming, but its not doing the job, maybe one of you experts can help a fellow newbie. Thanks Linux World! :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Installing Linux Mint 11 Katya

Post by jungle_boy »

You can not transfer the data to the CD, you must use the ISO image write option...

Look...

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=13252
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

To create a Linux Mint installer disk out of your blank dis , you first need an operating system ( either Windows or Linux ) tht has an " Image burning " program (or application) and then use a browser to download an ISO file from the Linux Mint website.
If you have a Windows operatingt system you will need a program such as Nero or Roxio to create an "Image" on a blank CD or DVD.
If you have a Linux system such as Ubuntu , you can use the application "Brasero" , or with some other Linux systems you can use "K3B" to burn an " image "
It is possible to use a Ubuntu Live disk (just running in RAM Live, not installed) but you would need a removeable drive such as USB to download the ISO file and store it there in the first place.
If you have an ISO file, where do you have it saved at present?

An "Image" is an image of the original developers disk. An ISO file is a compressed file intended to transmit all this information over the internet, as the "image" cannot be transmitted by itself.
TriOS

Post by TriOS »

StanTheMan wrote:To create a Linux Mint installer disk out of your blank dis , you first need an operating system ( either Windows or Linux ) tht has an " Image burning " program (or application) and then use a browser to download an ISO file from the Linux Mint website.
If you have a Windows operatingt system you will need a program such as Nero or Roxio to create an "Image" on a blank CD or DVD.
If you have a Linux system such as Ubuntu , you can use the application "Brasero" , or with some other Linux systems you can use "K3B" to burn an " image "
It is possible to use a Ubuntu Live disk (just running in RAM Live, not installed) but you would need a removeable drive such as USB to download the ISO file and store it there in the first place.
If you have an ISO file, where do you have it saved at present?

An "Image" is an image of the original developers disk. An ISO file is a compressed file intended to transmit all this information over the internet, as the "image" cannot be transmitted by itself.
I finally figured out what my issue was I figured at first that a CD is same as a DVD based on similar shape structure, I self corrected the issue by renewing my definition of a CD and a DVD. I found out that a CD only can hold up 700MB, and a DVD can hold up to 1.3GB or more. No wonder about every download I tried was a capcaity of 1.2-3GB when I just needed 700MB, I downloaded this time the CD and not the DVD, and it has worked out for me. Thanks guys. I think I answered my own question lol with the assistance from StanTheMan.

-TriOS :lol:
danny0085

Post by danny0085 »

Here is a video tutorial how to install linux step by step without deleting Windows

Return to “Beginner Questions”