I really need help...will not install other programs

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Robbhc
Level 1
Level 1

I really need help...will not install other programs

Post by Robbhc »

When I try to install any program, like the one for my Mobile Modem :( (Virgin). all I get is these error messages. :?

Archive: /media/Virgin Mobile /AutoRun.exe
[/media/Virgin Mobile /AutoRun.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /media/Virgin Mobile /AutoRun.exe or
/media/Virgin Mobile /AutoRun.exe.zip, and cannot find /media/Virgin Mobile /AutoRun.exe.ZIP, period.

Archive: /media/cdrom0/Dictionary/TetunEnglishSetup.exe
[/media/cdrom0/Dictionary/TetunEnglishSetup.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
note: /media/cdrom0/Dictionary/TetunEnglishSetup.exe may be a plain executable, not an archive
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /media/cdrom0/Dictionary/TetunEnglishSetup.exe or
/media/cdrom0/Dictionary/TetunEnglishSetup.exe.zip, and cannot find /media/cdrom0/Dictionary/TetunEnglishSetup.exe.ZIP, period.

In the I really want to try Linux, but it is not making it easy for me, as I am tired of Windows
I really need help with this issue, Mint will not let me install any program from CD or USB :roll:

HEEEELP!!!!! :cry:
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I really need help...will not install other programs

Post by cecar »

Well.... Seems like you are trying to install Windows programs. That is of course not possible because Linux is not windows.
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

Definitely make your font larger. That will imply urgency.

Install Wine (in the REPOs). EXEs are Windows executable binary files and can NOT be installed using Linux without a Windows Emulator.
Inkit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Inkit »

You don't need to install any software. You can use the default linux one. There's an app called network manager (it's the icon right next to the date and time on the sys tray). Right click>Edit connections>Mobile broadband>add. If you've plugged in the modem and waited for about a minute or so for the system to recognize it, you'll get a pop up screen with your device listed in a drop down box at the bottom.
Go forward choosing whatever is appropriate for you. Click Finish. You'll get another popup. check the connect automatically box. That's it. You should be done.

Return to “Newbie Questions”