Mint debian on older machine

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rosswmcgee

Mint debian on older machine

Post by rosswmcgee »

I have an older machine with no dvd. Is there a cd download for Mint Debian lmde?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint debian on older machine

Post by xenopeek »

No, but you can use unetbootin to put the DVD iso on a USB stick and make that bootable. If you already run Linux Mint elsewhere, you can find unetbootin in the Software Manager. It also runs on Windows and OS X. Downloads: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
gn2

Post by gn2 »

If there's no DVD drive it's likely that it won't boot from USB either...?

What are the system specs, what CPU and how much RAM...?
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

It doesn't need to be able to boot from USB as long as it has a floppy drive. Simply use PLOP to create a floppy disk that will allow you to boot from USB on any PC - http://www.plop.at/en/home.html
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

This is kind of a far out possibility. May or may not be of any use to anyone. But was doing some googling about the topic of another thread and thought why not ... Run a search and see whatcha get. Installing from hdd was the theme. Just skimmed some of the links. Looked a bit involved, but is still an intriguing concept, cause it's novel. Also sounds like a good reason to use one of the gazillion distro's that will fit onto an install cd. Can see the appeal in a rolling release too definitely.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=e ... 80&bih=933
Last edited by lmintnewb on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
gn2

Post by gn2 »

I have long wondered if it would be possible to use a small Debian net installation image to install a basic CLI system then change the sources list to the LMDE repos then install an LMDE meta-package....?
rosswmcgee

Post by rosswmcgee »

OK I will try the usb trick. Note the machine only has one usb port , when I removed the printer, and inserted a usb stick xp did not use it , kept sending different

requests to install new software. I installed the pclinuxos light weight os and sure enough usb works fine. I am not keeping pclinux though to light weight and

I prefer debian based distros.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Mint isn't really "heavy" but I wouldn't class it as a lightweight either. If you really want a full-fledged Deb-based distro that IS reasonably lightweight, maybe you should look into installing Ubuntu "Netbook Remix". Version 10.10 or 10.04 is better than ver 11, IMO. With the netbook version you get something that easily fits on a 1Gig usb stick, and if you don't have a small screen it will recognize that your monitor is larger and will allow you to use its native resolution (what I'm trying to say is the netbook part doesn't mean that it only works on small screens). All of the repositories and all of the programs are available. I just installed Firefox 5 on mine (I'm using 10.10) and it runs great on a 1Ghz processor with 512 Megs of RAM (Intel on-board video). Of course, just like Ubuntu you will have to install the audio-video codecs, etc., which I realize is somewhat of a hassle that doesn't exist with Mint. http://forums.linuxmint.com/posting.php ... 90&t=77471#

Return to “Beginner Questions”