How to format harddrive using Mint Live CD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sanzy

How to format harddrive using Mint Live CD

Post by sanzy »

Hello , i have a macbook and it is just stuck on the Apple screen and will not boot using a OSX disk so i cant format the drive. It however does boot with the Linux Live CD. Is there a way i can format my harddrive using the Liunx mint CD if so how?

thankyou. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lordmax
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to format harddrive using Mint Live CD

Post by lordmax »

I think you can delete all partitions, make just one ext3 partition and then format it
Ogni storia è vera, semplicemente alcune non sono mai accadute. [SandMan]
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

If you can get the LiveCD to boot then run gParted (under the 'Administration' menu). See what partitions are defined there and then, as stated by LordMax, you should be able to simply delete them all and start fresh with whatever you want to do.
All that is assuming that you don't have any data on there that you want to save first?
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

sanzy wrote:Hello , i have a macbook and it is just stuck on the Apple screen and will not boot using a OSX disk so i cant format the drive. It however does boot with the Linux Live CD. Is there a way i can format my harddrive using the Liunx mint CD if so how?

thankyou. :)
Formatting the dirve isn't an "end" it is part of a path to something... You wouldn't really want to take an entire drive and have 1 partition and format it unless you A) want to use it for data storage or B) want to install Windows... So... what are you trying to do? If you are trying to install Linux Mint, simply boot the CD... then use gparted to remove all partitions... then just click "Install" and the install routine will walk you through the installation. When it comes time to create partitions and install Mint, the install routine will give you choices including to just use the whole disk (and let the install routine figure figure out the details of the partitioning scheme - aka default vanilla install) or you can do a "custom" install and choose all the particulars of the partitioning scheme... In either case, you don't need to think of "formatting the disc" as a discrete step that you have to do manually... :D
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image

Return to “Beginner Questions”