Firefox problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dollyp
Level 3
Level 3

Firefox problems

Post by dollyp »

Hi

I'm dual booting LM11 with Win7 and gradually making the move over to Linux. I am experiencing problems with Firefox. In Windows Firefox works perfectly and almost never stops or experiences slowdowns. However, in LM Firefox is at best erratic, stopping for long minutes at a time or sometimes for good. Since the wireless connection is common to both setups there must be something in the Linux setup that is causing FF to stop.

I had tried to point FF at the same profile for both W7 and LM (on a second, non-OS NTFS data partition as recommended by Lifehacker) but I could not get this to work as it was causing too many failures to run FF in LM (suspected to be a locking issue) so now have separate profiles.

Any help would be appreciated.

David
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dollyp
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Firefox problems

Post by dollyp »

Hi

An update. This morning I logged into LM and tried to get into Firefox. It wouldn't have it, with a message that Firefox was already running and needed to be shut down. I then went into the Home Folder place on the menu and navigated to the profile folder. Just doing this enabled Firefox to load properly.

I conclude that this might be an issue with permissions and that somehow navigating to the folder caused LM to release FF to load normally.

I'm now lost, and this will be a deal-breaker for LM without an answer. In Win7 I'd hustle up a script to get FF to start but I don't know where to start with Linux.

david
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

You can share a profile between Windows 7 and Linux (I do it), but there are a couple of caveats that you need to be aware of:

1. Ideally you want to be running the same base version of FF on both. Chances are that on Windows you are running FF5, though may still have FF4 on Linux. If that's the case, upgrade Linux to FF5.
2. You may find that some addons don't work after switching between Linux and Windows. It's easily fixed (Menu/Add Ons/ Update), but just something to be aware of. I haven't figured out yet quite why it does this.
3. It's probably a good idea to copy your profile to a proper shared location first, rather than trying to hook Linux in to the profile on C:/Users

Once you copy the profile, start FF with firefox --profilemanager (firefox.exe --profilemanager on Windows) and when you choose the folder navigate to the shared profile on each. You can start FF from the profilemanager to test it has worked.

PS. If you get the "Firefox is already running" message, open system monitor and kill any firefox processes. Then navigate to the profile folder and look for the hidden file .parentlock (You may need to press CTRL-H in Nautilus to make it visible). Delete the .parentlock file and try firefox again
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
dollyp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dollyp »

Roken wrote:You can share a profile between Windows 7 and Linux (I do it), but there are a couple of caveats that you need to be aware of:

1. Ideally you want to be running the same base version of FF on both. Chances are that on Windows you are running FF5, though may still have FF4 on Linux. If that's the case, upgrade Linux to FF5.
2. You may find that some addons don't work after switching between Linux and Windows. It's easily fixed (Menu/Add Ons/ Update), but just something to be aware of. I haven't figured out yet quite why it does this.
3. It's probably a good idea to copy your profile to a proper shared location first, rather than trying to hook Linux in to the profile on C:/Users

Once you copy the profile, start FF with firefox --profilemanager (firefox.exe --profilemanager on Windows) and when you choose the folder navigate to the shared profile on each. You can start FF from the profilemanager to test it has worked.

PS. If you get the "Firefox is already running" message, open system monitor and kill any firefox processes. Then navigate to the profile folder and look for the hidden file .parentlock (You may need to press CTRL-H in Nautilus to make it visible). Delete the .parentlock file and try firefox again
Hi Roken

Thanks for the response. Both running FF5. Agree some addons not working. There are no .parentlock files.

The System Monitor does not show an existing FF process, but it did show something else. The file system tab showed that only the /dev/sda5 Linux partition was visible. Opening home folder and clicking on the shared drive ('Data') immediately added a second drive /dev/sda3, which is the D:\data shared drive. Firefox now opens. Exactly the same thing happens after computer reboots.

So the failure of FF to open appears to be due to the shared drive not being visible to the system until selected through the file manager. (Mozilla say FF will give the error message if it can't find the profile.) Is this a mount problem? How can I make /dev/sda3 available on boot?

Regards
David

Return to “Beginner Questions”