Working with Mint 10... worth the ugrade to 11, now to 12?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Working with Mint 10... worth the ugrade to 11, now to 12?

Post by alquimista »

Hi,

I have been working witn Mint 10 for a while; I'm a home user... with regular tasks: movies, podcasts, internet browse, mail, chat, personal docs, X-Plane (flight simulator; the only game I play with)...

I'm happy so far with Mint 10... is it worthy to upgrade to 11?

Thx
Last edited by alquimista on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Working with Mint 10... worth the ugrade to 11?

Post by SimonTS »

Simple answer? No - stick with what you've got. Mint 11 is based on Ubuntu 11.04 which has major issues. Mint 11 also has problems and, unless you can find a particular reason why you need to upgrade, I would not recommend it at all.
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

+1,

Answer : No
Stay with Mint 10 as it works for you.
Bob E
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob E »

+1

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Stay with 10! I run 10 and love it. If you are curious, download and run the Live version just to see what you are not missing.
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Working with Mint 10... worth the ugrade to 11?

Post by alquimista »

I'll stick with 10 for a while then...

Thank you all ! :)
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Working with Mint 10... worth the ugrade to 11?

Post by alquimista »

I have been working with Mint 10 for long time now... and everything its just fine; I have been following posts on 12... and some people are happy... others are suggesting to stay at 11.
I would move to 12, if there would be a major pro on updating... Maybe I like innovation and keen to tray new stuff... yet I have seen that new desktop (Gnome 3, etc) its not yet very stable... I have read some people are even considering moving to KDE, as it is more "colorful", configurable, stable and keeps the familiar fashion to operate a desktop

I know many of you suggest "keep on 10 if it works for you"; yep, I'm ok with 10. Yet wishing to play with new stuff from time to time, I ask ...: is there a major pro or new functionallity that 12 has big, has 10 has not at all? internal functionallity, desktop, usability, UI marvells?

Thx
Last edited by alquimista on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daboo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Working with Mint 10... worth the ugrade to 11, now to 1

Post by Daboo »

I had LM10 KDE since it came out. It worked like a champ and the desktop interface was easy to transition to from Windows. I was having a problem getting video to work in Skype. I decided to try LM12 in case it would work better. It didn't work any better, but I decided to upgrade. After trying the Gnome desktop for a few days, I decided to go back to KDE, but there was no word on when a LM12 KDE version would come out . I tried OpenSuse KDE first. It has a good reputation for a KDE OS. However, just like last year, it doesn't seem to like my hardware. So back to LM. I decided to try LM12 one more time and try installing the KDE desktop.

As it turns out, it worked fine. But if it didn't, I was headed back to LM10 KDE in a heartbeat. It worked just fine and I didn't see any significant difference.

I think a lot of us like to try new things. Sometimes it is more fun to use the programs on the computer, than to spend all the time trying to get the menu to work, or whatever. :) I'd rather play Xplane, than to spend my time trying to get it to run when it does already.

I really appreciate what the LM developers have done. They are volunteers from what I understand. And to spend the countless hours this may take, is very much appreciated.

BTW, KDE has a bad rap it seems. But IMHO, it is a very polished interface. Things like getting the weather on your desktop, have been there for awhile now on KDE. It's worth a try.

Chris
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

I know many of you suggest "keep on 10 if it works for you"; yep, I'm ok with 10. Yet wishing to play with new stuff from time to time, I ask ...: is there a major pro or new functionallity that 12 has big, has 10 has not at all? internal functionallity, desktop, usability, UI marvells?

Just keep what works in its partition.

Learn dual or multiboot,
create new partitions, install what you want to play.. play it, don't care if it break.

or install virtualbox
then play any distros as guess OS.

so you have both: stable OS for work , and play anything else for learning :mrgreen:
Reddog1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Reddog1 »

I concur with the rest of the above--NO. Unlike some others, I've had few problems with Mint 11. 11 takes quite a bit of tweaking to get stuff that just works with 10 going though--my main issue was getting Compiz/Emerald working, which I managed to do, but it wasn't really easy. Mint 12 is more difficult to configure than either 10 or 11, and I have found a few issues with it, plus 12 seems to be a bit slower, too, especially the Software Manager--waiting for it to index or whatever is happening is like watching paint dry. I'm sticking with Mint 11 for my everyday system and just using 12 to play on.
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alquimista »

Hi,

I decided to stay with Mint 10; for me its stable, fast, elegant and what it offers its what I need by now for a home PC

I played a bit with 12 with VirtualBox; yes, has some candy gadgets but from my point of view, did not offer a big deal nor better options in usability; maybe I'm very used to the classic desktop: lanucher, task bar, and I have left a side pannel with icons of my most used apps; do I need more than that? not by now, unles something much better comes with Gnome 3, Unity, etc. that I have not found

I even tryed what in several post suggest: to install Mint 12 and then install "kde-full"; I though it would offer the kde desktop on the core of Mint 12... yet it didn't happen: just downloaded kde apps and the previous desktop was there; no kind of start-up menu or switch to choose kde or gnome 3

Maybe when Mint 12 KDE arrives I'll give it a try... to see if it convinces me over Mint 10 elengant and simple interface; as a matter of fact I was a kde guy; I used to use Kubuntu, OpenSuse and Mint KDE; when I tryed Mint 10 Gnome I just stiked with it

Regards!
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alquimista »

I got rid of my Win 7 partition an installed Mint 12 to play with, having dual boot with Mint 10. Testing Mint 12 on VM never worked fine... Was slow, or Cinammon just never worked (black screens), even when 3d acceleration turned on, on VM settings.
Now having Mint 12 installed on the HD I have been testing since yesterday, and my perception vs Mint 10, is:

- 12 its faster than Mint 10 in my PC
- Better video performance
- In Mint 10 I recently had touble with updates of Google Chrome 18 and Flash... blue faces and yellow skyes, and Chrome breaking with Shockwave errors. Nothing of that now in Mint 12
- Cinammon 1.4 its indeed, very nice... with some minor glitches fixed, I'm happy with it

I just switched to 12... and left the 10 partition for contingencies... or testing 13...
Last edited by alquimista on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kernowmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kernowmint »

Unlike some users, I found Mint 11 worked better for me than 10 and I'm leaving that on my desktop machine for now. I like trying out new releases when they come out, but I think Mint 12 is a transitional release really, a first step along the road to the new Mint Main Edition after the upheaval caused by the Gnome devs, so I'm waiting for 13 which will be the LTS and I'll see how that turns out. I may switch permanently to LXDE Edition, though, as I like that a lot.

Return to “Newbie Questions”