Firestarter pointers

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
aes2011
Level 5
Level 5

Firestarter pointers

Post by aes2011 »

I just installed Firestarter with Mint 11 (Gnome) but I get this error message:

Code: Select all

Firestarter error
Failed to open the system log
No event information will be available.
When in the MS Windows world, I used PCTools Firewall quite happily and would like to get Firestarter going properly.

It is active and, under network (eth0), it shows amounts received (30.4 MB) and sent (0.4 MB). I've been going through the Firestarter site for clues but haven't come across the type of error I'm seeing.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Firestarter pointers

Post by xenopeek »

Firestarter is probably using the /var/log/messages file, which is deprecated on Linux Mint 11. You can re-enable this logfile, this was reported as being the solution for your issue: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1749703.

Please let us know if this worked or any further help needed.
aes2011
Level 5
Level 5

Post by aes2011 »

xenopeek wrote:Firestarter is probably using the /var/log/messages file, which is deprecated on Linux Mint 11. You can re-enable this logfile, this was reported as being the solution for your issue: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1749703.

Please let us know if this worked or any further help needed.
Hi Vincent, thanks for the link... Did you read a bit further down, post #8? The poster implied that Firestarter may not be updated any more and so there maybe be recurrent issues. What is your feeling? Would gufw be more suitable? I haven't invested much time in Firestarter and wouldn't mind switching (provided that gufw is noob-friendly).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ah, that is too bad. I just use the default installed Firewall Configuration, which is indeed gufw.
Gee7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gee7 »

I just posted this to coolpup with a similar query, but will paste the answer here too.

The following workaround has been suggested. Whether there are any unforeseen consequences of commenting out the lines below is probably still undergoing testing. However, as far as known so far, the workaround is successful.

Open a terminal and type:

sudo gedit /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf

(if your text editor is not Gedit but Leafpad or or Foo, substitute that editor name for “gedit”)

Comment out (delete the hash sign #) in front of the following lines:

#*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
# auth,authpriv.none;\
# cron,daemon.none;\
# mail,news.none -/var/log/messages

so that you now have:

*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
auth,authpriv.none;\
cron,daemon.none;\
mail,news.none -/var/log/messages

Save the file, close down the terminal and reboot your system.
aes2011
Level 5
Level 5

Post by aes2011 »

Gee7 wrote:I just posted this to coolpup with a similar query, but will paste the answer here too....
Saw that, thank you! :)
Gee7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gee7 »

Hi Vincent
I hadn't realised that you had posted the same information previously in a link, apologies for repetition. This post had caught my eye just before I was logging out. :-)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Gee7 wrote:Hi Vincent
I hadn't realised that you had posted the same information previously in a link, apologies for repetition. This post had caught my eye just before I was logging out. :-)
No problem, better two people responding with a solution than none :wink:
Davetesc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Davetesc »

This worked a treat for me using mint 12, thankyou I like firestarter for the feeback but didn't know how to cure this prob, any ideas how I can start it at boot time? I use a dongle so it causes an error where the connection isn't already established? Thanks again Dave
P.S. the error with gufw being all greyed out everytime it's started still happens in mint 12.

Gee7 wrote:I just posted this to coolpup with a similar query, but will paste the answer here too.

The following workaround has been suggested. Whether there are any unforeseen consequences of commenting out the lines below is probably still undergoing testing. However, as far as known so far, the workaround is successful.

Open a terminal and type:

sudo gedit /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf

(if your text editor is not Gedit but Leafpad or or Foo, substitute that editor name for “gedit”)

Comment out (delete the hash sign #) in front of the following lines:

#*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
# auth,authpriv.none;\
# cron,daemon.none;\
# mail,news.none -/var/log/messages

so that you now have:

*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
auth,authpriv.none;\
cron,daemon.none;\
mail,news.none -/var/log/messages

Save the file, close down the terminal and reboot your system.

Return to “Newbie Questions”