[SOLVED] Upgrading a pae kernel - proceed with care!!!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antikythera

[SOLVED] Upgrading a pae kernel - proceed with care!!!

Post by antikythera »

I have installed LXDE 11 on my Core 2 Duo notebook with 4Gb RAM. The current kernel I am running after I manually upgraded through synaptic is 2.6.38-11.26 (generic-pae).

In the past I have used Kendall's 'How To' to upgrade non-pae kernels on my older notebook. I can't find any pae images in the folders on the downloads server linked to in the tutorial though.

Is there a trusted source somewhere I can get hold of pre-compiled pae kernel *.deb packages more recent than the above?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
conslie

Re: Mint 11 LXDE: Upgrading a pae kernel painlessly?

Post by conslie »

I would trust this site http://packages.debian.org/sid/kernel/ more than my ability to rtfm. The metapackages there should bring in the needed dependencies, and I would follow Kendall's install sequence.
antikythera

Re: [SOLVED] Mint 11 LXDE: Upgrading a pae kernel painlessly

Post by antikythera »

Thank you that is exactly what I was after although I have gone for wheezy not sid. I don't trust myself to rtfm and get it right with regards compiling kernels just yet.

Outcome - I downloaded the required files and met all their dependencies. Before installing I removed the fglrx driver too and reconfigured the display because I knew the driver installed would break.

All seemed to go through and no errors were shown in the terminal. However, clearly something else broke as the notebook will not boot on any of the kernels installed now even in recovery mode.

It gets stuck trying to access the root partition.

So a word of caution. If you try this backup your working computer first as I did. I am now going to revert to a stable kernel but thanks for your help anyhow, those sources will be quite handy in the future for when I feel like tinkering again.
conslie

Re: [SOLVED] Upgrading a pae kernel - proceed with care!!!

Post by conslie »

I've earned a "fail" with earlier installs of LMDE. I'll give it another shot with the new release. I've followed the advice given by Kendall and successfully upgraded the kernel in LM11 Gnome and upgraded in another Ubuntu based distro, Bodhi Linux, with no problem. Just one more boot option added to Grub. Debian seems a bit trickier.

Good practice, the backup. No harm in experimenting when playing safely. Just one thought. There is a stickied thread re: compiling at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=9234 . Maybe having that stuff installed might have made a difference?
antikythera

Re: [SOLVED] Upgrading a pae kernel - proceed with care!!!

Post by antikythera »

yeah, I had build-essentials too because I was looking at compiling but decided otherwise. I have gone back to LM 9 Gnome DVD edition 2.6.32-33-generic-pae for now. That seems the best combination for this hardware along with the fglrx (8.723...) offered up by the Hardware Drivers application.

Return to “Beginner Questions”