I destroyed my computer with Linux. Please help!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
melonpaste

I destroyed my computer with Linux. Please help!

Post by melonpaste »

I tried to install Mint 11 from a USB flashkey. All was going well in the install until I encountered some error at the end of the install which I do not remember. I tried to install it again immediately after closing it and it woudln't start at all. At first I could get to Windows 7 and checked my HDD: it was partitionned and more than half the size of it was missing. So I tried to check what was up with Mint by rebooting and the flashkey wouldn't boot anymore; it seems completely dead. My computer then restarts and recommends starting Windows Repair half-way into the Windows 7 spalsh screen. :(

I will clarify anything you asked.

UPDATE

Windows Repair got me back to my desktop and I can now get pass the splash screen with no problems. However, My HDD's other half is still missing. Is there anyway to get it back?

My mistake for installing Mint on a computer I use. I will install it on a test one next time :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Inkit

Re: I destroyed my computer with Linux. Please help!

Post by Inkit »

Don't know what exactly your problem was, but you can try reinstalling once again, but this time with a cd, provided you aren't using a netbook that does not have a drive. the reason why half your HD is missing is probably because Mint has formated it to ext4 which will not show up on windows. If however you check the full size of the disk it will be unchanged, it will just show up as missing space in windows.
If you have the existing download file for mint 11, jut burn it as an image to a cd and boot from it. the installation is the same as previously, but just choose the correct partition (the one that already had mint) you want to install on. everything should go smooth.
If on the other hand you want to remove mint from your system, open up your partition tool in windows and format the mint partition to ntfs. It will once again show up again in windows.
My mistake for installing Mint on a computer I use. I will install it on a test one next time
There's usually no problems if you install from a cd or DVD. occassionally when you try installing from a pendrive you will get errors. If you have a test system, please do try mint although I'd suggest you go with 10 rather than 11. Many of us "Just gave it a try" and now use windows only for games, if at that.
melonpaste

Post by melonpaste »

Inkit wrote: If on the other hand you want to remove mint from your system, open up your partition tool in windows and format the mint partition to ntfs. It will once again show up again in windows.
I'll try that right now. Thanks.
melonpaste

Post by melonpaste »

These guys?

I can only delete them. Is that what I want to do? :?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

That looks like your Mint and swap partitions. Yes, delete them to where it is unallocated space, then you can expand your ntfs partition to fill that space.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
melonpaste

Post by melonpaste »

tdockery97 wrote:That looks like your Mint and swap partitions. Yes, delete them to where it is unallocated space, then you can expand your ntfs partition to fill that space.
So far so good. How do I expand the ntfs? 'Extend Partition' is greyed out.
MagicHobo

Post by MagicHobo »

Now you just have to right click and delete that empty green partition so it becomes unallocated space, then you can extend your windows partition and you'll get all that HD space back.
melonpaste

Post by melonpaste »

MagicHobo wrote:Now you just have to right click and delete that empty green partition so it becomes unallocated space, then you can extend your windows partition and you'll get all that HD space back.
Thank you!! :D

God bless.

Return to “Beginner Questions”