Clean install fails on bootloader

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Regel

Clean install fails on bootloader

Post by Regel »

Hi everyone,

New Linux user here, and I've been trying to install Linux Mint 11 Katya on my Sony Vaio Z (VPC-Z12X9E) laptop.
When installing, I select the option to remove the current OS and install Mint over it.

However, it keeps failing on installing the grub bootloader. I get the dialog box that ask me to install it somewhere else, continue without installing the bootloader, or cancel the installation. No matter which option I select on that screen, nothing happens.

Any suggestions on what I should do instead to get it running, or if I need to provide you any more information, please let me know.
The laptop has two 64GB SSDs in RAID0 for a total volume of 128GB, I don't know if this could be a problem.

Thanks in advance,
Regel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Clean install fails on bootloader

Post by xenopeek »

Regel wrote:The laptop has two 64GB SSDs in RAID0 for a total volume of 128GB, I don't know if this could be a problem.
Yup, that is a problem. You would need to install GRUB to /dev/mapper instead of to /dev/sda. I have no experience with RAID, but this might help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto. In your case, I would consider just running without RAID0 (switch it from RAID to AHCI mode in the BIOS) as a SSD is fast enough without RAID0. During installation you can put / and /home partitions on the first disk, and for example have the second disk with one partition mount as /data. Big files you can then put on the second disk, or backups from the first disk. And if you ever need to reinstall, that second disk retains its files.
Regel

Re: Clean install fails on bootloader

Post by Regel »

Thank you for your help, Vincent, at least I know where the problem lies now. If you would want to keep the RAID0 (and not care for how easy my files can get lost etc), what would be the steps I need to take?
EDIT: The answer seems manual partitioning and selecting /dev/mapper/ to install GRUB. Right?
EDIT2: That seems to have done it, thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”