java and java

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thorbs

java and java

Post by thorbs »

Hi I have just installed lmde, and I would like to add freeplane. When I go to synaptic manager and select freeplane, it also installs the iceteajava plugin. I have previously experienced that some online services (my bank) only would work with the non-free sun java. So I am wondering if I am going to get in trouble here if I install freeplane, or if the earlier conflicts with java have been resolved. Also I could choose not to install the icedtea plugins, but I am not sure if Freeplane then will work.

thankyou.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
olligod

Re: java and java

Post by olligod »

thorbs wrote:Hi I have just installed lmde, and I would like to add freeplane. When I go to synaptic manager and select freeplane, it also installs the iceteajava plugin. I have previously experienced that some online services (my bank) only would work with the non-free sun java. So I am wondering if I am going to get in trouble here if I install freeplane, or if the earlier conflicts with java have been resolved. Also I could choose not to install the icedtea plugins, but I am not sure if Freeplane then will work.

thankyou.

Of course you'll get in trouble...somebody will come right over and beat ya up ... erm... just kidding - who or what should give you trouble?
Linux Mint has always been based on a Distro (Ubuntu or Debian) with non-free stuff added to it. Especially Multimedia - but java also fits into this category.
As a matter of fact, not only is it easy to install non-free java (or set it again as default if it's already there) - but I believe, a lot of people do it, too (myself included)
and there are hardly any dependency problems. Multiple Javas can live side-by-side.
There are a lot of applications (i.e.; banking software in my country, Germany) that run best (or at all) with Sun's java - I concur with you there.

If Sun's Java is already installed but another Java is the current default on your system:
To change the default java to be used, on a commandline do

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config java
Then choose a number among the ones offered.
Depending on your uses, you may repeat the step for javaws (Java Web Start).
And just in case, if Sun Java isn't installed it but you would like it, the package management should help, or on a commandline

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
Good luck.
thorbs

Re: java and java

Post by thorbs »

thanks for the thourough guide to java

Return to “Beginner Questions”