No login dialog

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SolomonWilde

No login dialog

Post by SolomonWilde »

My Toshiba Satellite laptop running LMDE 10 regularly boots up with no login dialog - i.e. just the blank desktop is visible. Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL opens System Monitor as normal, otherwise there seems to be nothing I can do. Generally I press CTRL+ALT+F6 to get another console, log into that and sudo shutdown now to avoid having to hold in the power button. Please can anybody suggest how I troubleshoot this as I'm a bit of a newbie.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: No login dialog

Post by oobetimer »

SolomonWilde wrote:My Toshiba Satellite laptop running LMDE 10 regularly boots up with no login dialog - i.e. just the blank desktop is visible. Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL opens System Monitor as normal, otherwise there seems to be nothing I can do. Generally I press CTRL+ALT+F6 to get another console, log into that and sudo shutdown now to avoid having to hold in the power button. Please can anybody suggest how I troubleshoot this as I'm a bit of a newbie.
Some kind of installation problem perhaps?

Install (or re-install) gdm, and reconfigure it.

sudo apt-get install gdm

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
SolomonWilde

Re: No login dialog

Post by SolomonWilde »

Unfortunately sudo apt-get install gdm gets the response:

Package gdm is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
indicator-applet-session

E: Package 'gdm' has no installation candidate

Hopefully you saw I am running LMDE. Any further suggestions gratefully received, will check back sooner than last time.

Return to “Beginner Questions”