External drive, bootable complete backup

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Coomkeen

External drive, bootable complete backup

Post by Coomkeen »

Searching brings lots of 'backup' posts, some of which I don't understand, and none seem to answer my newby questions.

So....

I have Mint installed on a Macbook, in a second partition made using Bootcamp.
And a swap partition made while installing Mint.
Also rEFit, so I get the option to boot from any available bootable drive.

I use SuperDuper on OS-X to make full OS-X system and apps bootable backups on an external Firewire drive.
This has saved my bacon twice while finding out how to get to where I am.

But now I think that if I get another external Firewire drive I could make a similar bootable backup of the Mint partition.

SuperDuper doesn't run on Linux, so is there something similar I could use?

Is this possible?

Ron
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: External drive, bootable complete backup

Post by viking777 »

SuperDuper doesn't run on Linux, so is there something similar I could use?
I have never heard of anything like that on Linux, but that doesn't mean to say it doesn't exist.

The normal solution for full system backups on Linux is Clonezilla ( www.clonezilla.org ), but these are partition images which are not bootable. If you screw up your main system you just reinstall the image from a live cd or usb key.

Return to “Beginner Questions”