desktop graphics glitch

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
westexjoe

desktop graphics glitch

Post by westexjoe »

Trying to install Mint 11 on a Dell GX270, using the on-board video port. From the start of the installation whenever completing a step (hitting the "Finish", "Continue", etc. button) the screen would usually either not update the display or display a ghost of the next screen or a big black area the previous window occupied. As the installation progresses, there are artefacts of all the previous screens I'd used earlier as if the video cache never completely clears. After each screen is completed the next screen would flash, then disappear, waving the mouse around reveals a faint flash of the buttons to hit with all the rest of the information hidden from view. On simple screens it is workable, but more complex screens are encountered, like when hard drive partitioning choices must be made it is a nightmare. I finally gave up trying to install Mint 11 and managed to get Mint 10 installed with the same type of problems not so chronic.
Mint 10 is working well but this problem still occurs about 50% of the time. My work-arounds have been hitting Alt-Tab, or Quit-Cancel, or jolting the position of the screen I'm on with the mouse to get a refreshed view, or finishing the task from the command line (Alt-Ctl-F1) and bouncing back to the GUI. I've tried different LCD displays, playing with the video resolutions, examining Xorg logs, dmesg, etc. have not indicated any errors to go fix.
I'm liking Mint 11 a lot on the first Dell GX270 install, but this second one is really getting annoying. Both machines are dual-boot using 3 ATA IDE drives with a DVD-burner, no problems like this with the other OS's (XP & Mandriva). Help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: desktop graphics glitch

Post by remoulder »

Firstly turn off Visual Effects in the Appearance settings. If that doesn't solve the issue, please supply the information as requested in the read this link in the Red bar at the top.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Bartcore3

Re: desktop graphics glitch

Post by Bartcore3 »

I'm having the same problem so i'm definitely folowing this thread. :)
I tried to install the updates, thinking everythink would be better but instead it got worse..
westexjoe

Re: desktop graphics glitch [SOLVED]

Post by westexjoe »

[SOLVED]
In essence the suggested work-around did the trick. The distortion was too severe to install Mint 11 so I dropped back to installing Mint 10, still had the same type of problem no matter what I did on the GUI. The steps I took were a little different, both boxes are now doing what I need.
On Mint 10, I found "System Settings..Desktop Effects..." in the "Workspace Appearance and Behavior" I unchecked the "Enable desktop effects" done!
I had envisioned all kinds of possibilities causing this problem...even replaced the mobo on the GX270 before crying “HELP”!
Thanks for the quick and to-the-point advice. I now have a GX260 with Mint 11 and a GX270 with Mint 10...no more fixing 'cuz they're both doing great.
Thanks! My apologies for not following the rules of the forum, won't happen again.
Westexjoe,
Using Linux since '94!

Return to “Beginner Questions”