LM 9 or LM 10?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
RaiGal
Level 1
Level 1

LM 9 or LM 10?

Post by RaiGal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:17 pm

Hello,
In the next few days I am going to format my pc and I was wondering which is better and why. I will go with the main version. I have tried LM 10 and I was impressed with it's stability but perfomance wise I have heard LM9 was better. What your view on this?

Thank you!

Robin
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LM 9 or LM 10?

Post by Robin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:48 pm

If you're a newbie and you just want to "install the OS and start using the computer," I would definitely go with Mint 9 (Main or Xfce). Mint 9 on built on a very stable LTS (Long Term Support) base that has the better part of two years of support remaining to it. It is absolutely superb.

More adventurous? Try LM 10. Still pretty stable but newer versions of most applications. Fine even for most newbies, but shorter support life.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Re: LM 9 or LM 10?

Post by vrkalak » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:40 pm

I have both Mint-9 and LMDE installed. Both with the Fluxbox WM.

Mint-9 with either Fluxbox, Xfce or LXDE would be fast, light on resources and quite stable.

Mint-9 is the current LTS (long-term support) version of Mint. Still supported for almost 2 more years.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

Return to “Newbie Questions”