[SOLVED] Network Browsing with Mint 9 LXDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MSeries
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Network Browsing with Mint 9 LXDE

Post by MSeries » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:27 pm

Newbie Mint user here so please be gentle. I have just bought a used Dell Latitude C510 on which the previous owner had installed Mint 9 xfce to demonstrate that the machine works. Now I am not a total newbie to Linux, I already have a Ubuntu 11 laptop with Gnome and an Ubuntu 10 server. I use OpenSUSE at work and in the past have use Redhat . Now in my network I have a machine, the Ubuntu server which has some Samba shares set up which may be accessed by Windows machine as well as my Ubuntu laptop, so I am sure my shares are set up correctly. With Ubuntu/Gnome I see 'Network' listed in the Places list and I can drill down to see the shares. How do I do this with Mint xfce ? I realise that the response it probably going to be RTFM and while my Google Fu is usually quite good I really don't know what to search for ? Is Gigolo meant to show networked computers ? Does my Mint box need to be on the same 'workgroup' to use a Windows term ? How do I set this ?

A link to a document telling me how to do this will be great, thanks.

Another issue that I think I *might* come across is with my PCMCIA wireless adaptor. I don't think any Linux drivers will be available for it, it's a BT Voyager 1065, will the NDIS Wrappers work for this, ? I have never used the NDIS Wrappers, what do the wrap ? The Windows 2000/XP drivers ?

thanks

EDIT: changed LMDE to xfce - sorry for the confusion
Last edited by MSeries on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Network Browsing with Mint 9 LXDE

Post by Elisa » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Just as for "BT Voyager 1065", look here, if it 'might' help you, not sure...
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26988
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

MSeries
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Re: Network Browsing with Mint 9 LXDE

Post by MSeries » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:04 am

Marking this as solved though I have not yet been able to test it out but have read enough to be confident. It was a newbie question and some digging around has turned up some new things to try.

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Network Browsing with Mint 9 LXDE

Post by Midnighter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:50 am

To browse network shares, install Gigolo. Ignoring the odd choice in name, it's actually a pretty nifty app for browsing all manner of shares, drives, etc. :)
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Network Browsing with Mint 9 LXDE

Post by edwardr » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:32 am

make sure gvfs-fuse (or fuse-gvfs, don't remember just what its called) is installed for gigolo to be able to network properly.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true

Shade69
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Network Browsing with Mint 9 LXDE

Post by Shade69 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:30 pm

FYI, you can also use the default file manager (PCman) to browse the network but you kind of need to know the type of network share you are looking for. If you have a microsoft network (or samba) that you are wanting to browse, type smb: into the address field at the top of the file manager window. This will show you the windows networks available. You can also go directly to the shared drive locations as long as you know what type and location of the share. For example, a windows share (or samba) on a local server would be something like: smb://server_ip/shared_folder/ . Not exactly user friendly for someone that got used to a GUI (like me...) but it is logical.

i found these 2 wikipedia entries informative on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pcman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GVFS

Return to “Newbie Questions”