Mounting SATA drive on start-up [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jaggies

Mounting SATA drive on start-up [SOLVED]

Post by Jaggies »

Hi

I've recently changed to Mint from the one beginning with U, and am finding it's behaviour slightly different (as expected). This forum has provided me with the solution to one annoyance, but I can't find a reason for the following strange behaviour.

I installed PSYDM to configure my second hard drive to automatically mount on start-up. The main drive is 160GB and has the OS etc. installed on it as /dev/sda1. The second drive is 1TB and is /dev/sdb1 and is where most of my files are located.

When I run PSYDM and choose /dev/sdb1 as the partition I want to mount and enter the name, options etc., it applies the same settings to both drives. It then becomes a lottery as to which one is mounted on start-up as media/Hitachi1TB. The line PSYDM writes to FSTAB is as follows:
  • /dev/sdb1 /media/Hitachi1TB ext4 defaults 0 0
Am I missing anything obvious?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mounting SATA drive on start-up

Post by remoulder »

Not sure why you need pysdm at all? Just create the mount point and manually add the appropriate line to fstab using the UUID= format for the 1TB drive.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

When I run PSYDM and choose /dev/sdb1 as the partition I want to mount and enter the name, options etc., it applies the same settings to both drives. It then becomes a lottery as to which one is mounted on start-up as media/Hitachi1TB. The line PSYDM writes to FSTAB is as follows:

/dev/sdb1 /media/Hitachi1TB ext4 defaults 0 0

Am I missing anything obvious?
Here's the problem with pysdm ( and all the rest of these so called utilities ), they were all written before folks determined the best way to to this was by UUID as remoulder stated above. Since pysdm hasn't been updated and is no longer maintained ( just like the other utilities ) you will need to edit fstab by hand changing "/dev/sdb1" to some UUID number like "UUID=DA9056C19056A3B3"

Run the following command to find the right UUID number:

Code: Select all

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Jaggies

Post by Jaggies »

altair4 wrote:you will need to edit fstab by hand changing "/dev/sdb1" to some UUID number like "UUID=DA9056C19056A3B3"

Run the following command to find the right UUID number:

Code: Select all

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
Sorted, thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”