[SOLVED] How to install Linux Mint from a DVD?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Danko8321
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Danko8321 »

Hello, forum friends, I have sort of a stupid question for you: How the hell do I create a Bootable Mint DVD, or an installation DVD?

I can't figure it out, and I'm running out of ideas (my BIOS doesn't boot from a live USB drive, even thoug it does from a External HDD), because i want to install mint on my pc (permanently), but i simply dont know how to do it from my currently (and always) crappy Windows PC. Any ideas?

PD: I want to install the Gnome DVD install, so I don't have to download many codecs.
Last edited by Danko8321 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheer up! Things are getting worse at a slower rate.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How to install Linux Mint from a DVD?

Post by xenopeek »

Ugh, I've been using Linux too long. Can't remember how to burn ISO's on Windows. Anyway, if your version of Windows doesn't have the ability to burn ISO's, you can try a number of free applications to do so. For example: http://cdburnerxp.se/

StanTheMan
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to install Linux Mint from a DVD?

Post by StanTheMan »

There are two Windows programs that will create an "Image" from an ISO file . Nero , and Roxio .
Run one of them in Windows , providing you have a DVD burner drive.

The menu will have an option to burn an " image " . What this means is that the ISO file will be extracted to create an " image " of the developers original install disk.
The resulting " image " will contain some folders and files.
The ISO was merely a method of transporting all this information via one condensed file (ISO) .

Danko8321
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Danko8321 »

Thanks, I got it working and codec-install-free! It came really handy :)
Cheer up! Things are getting worse at a slower rate.

Return to “Newbie Questions”