dual boot w/win7

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bodhi926
Level 1
Level 1

dual boot w/win7

Post by bodhi926 »

were learning mint at school, but i wanted to run it at home also, i created a 10gb partition burnt my download to my disk but everytime i try to boot from the dvd and install it boots windows, i am a newbie to unix but not windows but this one has me stumped, help please!
i am also considering running it via vm/oracle on an ext usb drive, would that be easier?

istrandi
Level 4
Level 4

Re: dual boot w/win7

Post by istrandi »

When you say "it boots windows" does that mean it shows grub first (menu screen with a choice to choose OS's) or does it boot straight into windows?

Also, have you considered letting mint do the partitioning itself (just run the default install without partitioning it first yourself)? It might be easier for you...
When your problem is solved, add to the title of your first post [Solved].
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use: linux mint 11 main, mac osx 10.6, windows 7, ubuntu server

Scientia Vires Est.

bodhi926
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bodhi926 »

no grub screen, i have tried both ubuntu and mint on both a laptop and desktop, the closest i have come is booting with an ext dvd drive and it says no os found (and that was mint). at first that is what i was going to do was let mint do the partition but thought because it couldnt find any empty drive space...
also i have even tried both 32 and 64 bit ver (all my systems are 64 bit and running win 7 (3 dsktops and a laptop)
i mean ive set the bios to boot to the cd, i have manually selected the boot dev, the one thing i have not done is run the md5 checksum but i cant find that exe file

bodhi926
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bodhi926 »

ps i was trying the full ver, just out of curiosity i will try the no codecs ver, but i just dont understand why it does not see an os on the cd/dvd

bodhi926
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bodhi926 »

ps i was trying the full ver, just out of curiosity i will try the no codecs ver, but i just dont understand why it does not see an os on the cd/dvd

istrandi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by istrandi »

so does that mean you haven't even managed to get mint to boot off the live CD/DVD?

you could try a live USB (google Unetbootin') and see if this works.
When your problem is solved, add to the title of your first post [Solved].
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use: linux mint 11 main, mac osx 10.6, windows 7, ubuntu server

Scientia Vires Est.

odo5435
Level 4
Level 4

Post by odo5435 »

bodhi926 wrote:the one thing i have not done is run the md5 checksum but i cant find that exe file
If you've got a problematic CD/DVD this is the first thing you need to do. Without doing this check you can't be sure that your files haven't been corrupted in the download/burn process. A very quick search found a page to do this check in Win7 here "How To Check MD5 Checksum In Windows 7?".
LinuxMint 14 'Nadia' 64-bit dual boot with Win' 7
Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64) >< Cinnamon

podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

u gotta go the boot menu order first and boot from cd/dvd rom.mines is f12 yours maybe similar look at the screen when u turn your computer on it should say boot order and the button
Say it with me,"podagee,....(poh-duh-gee),"
got it?GOOD!

Toshiba Satellite P755-S5393 Intel i7
octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Windows 8 PRO w/WMC 64bit

bodhi926
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bodhi926 »

well i took the laptop to school and used the cd we used at school and that worked, i still would like to dual boot one of my desktops but for some reason it just does not like the burn (even on rewriteables) i am going to try burning it on another sys or at school

podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

older desktops usually suffer that problem of reading burnt dvds.if u wanna dual boot,i suggest fresh installs of both,do a win7 install first and partition it to the space you want,then,install your linux to the remainder.grub 2 will create a boot menu so you can choose either win7 or linux
Say it with me,"podagee,....(poh-duh-gee),"
got it?GOOD!

Toshiba Satellite P755-S5393 Intel i7
octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Windows 8 PRO w/WMC 64bit

Return to “Newbie Questions”