Can't Boot Mint 11

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Katyanewb
Level 3
Level 3

Can't Boot Mint 11

Post by Katyanewb »

MY LINUX INSTALL IS BUSTED AND I CAN'T BOOT INTO IT! I AM RUNNING OFF THE KATYA INSTALL DVD WAITING FOR ANSWERS!

I have Katya and Win 7 on dual boot. I then asked in another subforum as to how to install Win XP on triple boot and got an answer.

So I used Gparted to shrink my Win 7 partition and create a 10 gb partition for Win XP. I started installing Win XP. When XP rebooted for the first time I got a black screen saying "error loading operating system." No number of reboots fixed that.

I then booted off my Katya DVD and got this terminal screen:

So I tried to follow the instructions I was given on here in order to fix my grub and got this error:

I am currently booted off the Katya DVD. Please help me solve this problem!
Last edited by Oscar799 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title to make issue clear

Katyanewb
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can't Boot Mint 11

Post by Katyanewb »

Solved the problem by finding a different forum post that already discussed the issue. Still have an issue with my incomplete Win XP install being "invisible."

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Can't Boot Mint 11

Post by xenopeek »

Install Boot Repair (I see you have network connectivity) on the Live session, run it, and recover GRUB from there. Guide is here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot- ... _in_Ubuntu

Return to “Newbie Questions”