disappointed in this forum

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Katyanewb
Level 3
Level 3

disappointed in this forum

Post by Katyanewb » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:40 pm

I messed up my grub and couldn't boot, so I booted off the Katya DVD and posted a message begging for help.

My post got deleted within seconds. I was just left hanging.

I manage to solve my problem by reading other posts in the forum, but it took a long time. Apparently, instead of typing "sudo mount /dev/sda5" in terminal I needed to type "sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt" but that information is indicated NOWHERE in the official instructions. Beginners are supposed to figure that kind of stuff out on our own--and without help from anyone on the forum.

Linux has a reputation of being intended only for people with degrees in electronic engineering. That has been confirmed in my mind by the behavior of forum staff. I was in an emergency and was treated like dirt.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: disappointed in this forum

Post by DrHu » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Katyanewb wrote:Beginners are supposed to figure that kind of stuff out on our own--and without help from anyone on the forum
OK, sorry about that, I don't know why your post was deleted, however you do need to understand command structure, and if you responded by showing your command, someone may have indicated you missed a space character or the mount point (which is needed to mount disks or other devices) http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... x?mfr=true
--the windows file structure (system/hierarchy)
That tree command is also available for Linux,and was available for dos, its shows the hierarchical list of the directory(folder) structure

http://www.centerkey.com/tree/
Last edited by DrHu on Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

odo5435
Level 4
Level 4

Post by odo5435 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Katyanewb wrote:My post got deleted within seconds. I was just left hanging.
No, your post wasn't deleted. It was merely renamed and is still here. Many of the volunteers who help out in these forums tend to overlook threads with SUBJECTS THAT SHOUT AT THEM or include many !!!!!!!!!!!!!!'s or ?????????'s as that behaviour is considered rude in many forums. The mods of this forum are simply trying to help you get a reply.

Please remember that the support in these forums is offered by unpaid volunteers. They are not always able to drop whatever it is that they are doing to attend to your specific issues. As it was, you were able to resolve the issue on your own within an hour.

There was a good thread ages ago here that has some relevant points you might like to consider.
Last edited by odo5435 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LinuxMint 14 'Nadia' 64-bit dual boot with Win' 7
Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64) >< Cinnamon

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Without knowing what documentation you were using that failed to tell you the proper way to do a mount it's hard to tell if it was truly missing or just not worded correctly.

It's been my experience that this forum is far more helpful especially to beginners than any forum I've ever used.
Linux has a reputation of being intended only for people with degrees in electronic engineering.
As it turns out I in fact have a degree in Electrical Engineering and let me assure you it was of no help to me at all when I started with Linux :wink:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Robin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Robin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi,

I'm sure that your post wasn't deleted with any malicious intent. Perhaps it's some glitch or something in your post activated some automatic filter. Spam was once a problem here and the mods have done a great job in keeping the forums free of it lately... perhaps this was one of those unintended occurrences. Perhaps your post was simply moved to the appropriate area of the forums, too, not deleted.

I can tell you from experience that Mint Forums is a warm, welcoming place where newbies can get very precise help with problems, and even kids are made to feel welcome here. I certainly was, and I've made some good friends here too (Rivenathos, MALsPa, and Exploder). I'm a kid who has been "adopted" by some folks here who have offered not only lots of practical technical guidance, but academic and personal encouragement through some tough times (including a few months of homelessness). It feels like family here, for me at least. So don't dis my family.

If you're using the Main Edition, you can get lots of support on Ubuntu Forums too. Very nice community, much larger and busier and you kinda get lost in the crowd there, but it's a great source for newbie help with the Main edition of Linux Mint.

Katyanewb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Katyanewb » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll take all of the suggestions.

Return to “Newbie Questions”