Where are the error reports?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Hairyloon
Level 3
Level 3

Where are the error reports?

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:33 am

I have Mint 11 LXDE on this machine, and most of it works some of the time, but some of it doesn't work a lot of the time.
If the flaming thing told me what was not happening, then I might have a chance of fixing it (might not), but on the whole, it does not tell me anything useful.

Specifically, at this time, it is the wireless network that is giving me trouble.
When I set it up, it worked with no problems... even gave me a list of other networks in range that I could try to connect to.
Now I got nothing. :(
I cannot even tell if I have a properly established connection or not.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Where are the error reports?

Postby remoulder » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:59 am

If you have a specific issue you require help with, you need to provide relevant information about your software and hardware configuration. Please follow and read the link in the Red bar at the top called Forum rules.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Hairyloon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:10 am

remoulder wrote:If you have a specific issue you require help with, you need to provide relevant information about your software and hardware configuration.

If I did, then I would have.
This is a general issue about this distro (and indeed most modern linux distros). Clearly the intent is to make it look nice and glossy, and to distance the end user from all the messy workings... which is fine when they work.

odo5435
Level 4
Level 4

Postby odo5435 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:24 am

Hairyloon wrote:Specifically, at this time, it is the wireless network that is giving me trouble.

So...
remoulder wrote:If you have a specific issue you require help with, you need to provide relevant information

and you came back with...
Hairyloon wrote:If I did, then I would have.

If you've a problem there are many very qualified people here who are willing to help you. If not, and you just want to have a rant, then maybe you should look at posting in this forum here and not waste the time of people who are trying to assist those with genuine problems.

It is worth bearing in mind that no one is forcing you, or indeed charging you, to use this OS or the expert free advice that is on offer.
LinuxMint 14 'Nadia' 64-bit dual boot with Win' 7 :::<<>>::: Linux Registered User No. 545697
Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64) >< Cinnamon

Hairyloon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:59 am

odo5435 wrote:If you've a problem there are many very qualified people here who are willing to help you. If not, and you just want to have a rant, then maybe you should look at posting in this forum here and not waste the time of people who are trying to assist those with genuine problems.

And this illustrates exactly what puts me off about Linux: the narrow-minded and indeed often hostile attitude that you get if you don't pose a question in exactly the right manner.

Which is a shame, because there are certainly a lot of folk that are very friendly and helpful.

So shall we try again?

The problem I have is a lack of any error messages: the thing either works or it does not. Or it may seem to work, but in fact doesn't.

An example of this problem is the WiFi. I am not here asking for help with the WiFi. if I were, I would include some relevant details, and probably entitle the thread "Wireless Problem" or some-such, and I may yet do that, but for now, I am not.

pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Postby pluraldave » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:00 pm

Unfortunately, the issue here is the rude way in which your second post came across, thereby guaranteeing the response that you didn't like.

As for error messages:

1. the output of the terminal command

Code: Select all

dmesg

2. In /var/log See here for details.

Hairyloon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:26 pm

pluraldave wrote:Unfortunately, the issue here is the rude way in which your second post came across...

But not the way the first answer, assumes that I am a dumb-ass who doesn't read instructions?

Hairyloon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:44 am

pluraldave wrote:As for error messages:

1. the output of the terminal command

Code: Select all

dmesg

Is there no middle ground?
Why does linux always assume that you're either a supergeek or you don't want to know. :(

rtrev
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rtrev » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:13 am

Under the System Tools menu there is something called the Log File Viewer which might be helpful to you.

Menu -> All Applications -> System Tools -> Log File Viewer

hth,
Bob

odo5435
Level 4
Level 4

Postby odo5435 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:52 am

Hairyloon wrote:"Why does linux always assume that you're either a supergeek or you don't want to know. :(

'Linux' assumes nothing. Most people try Linux based OSs because they're dissatisfied with the alternatives. When they started using OSs like Windows or OSX there were considerable hurdles to overcome. But the desire to have a computer, any computer, made any difficulties seem insignificant. Linux isn't any more difficult, it's just different.

A few years ago, my sister was totally exasperated with Windows because her family's system was continuously having to be cleaned of viruses that she was unwilling to learn how to prevent. After consulting another branch of the family she bought a Mac. Beautiful looking computer. Flashy desktop. She had no idea how to use it and kept coming to me (!!!) for advice. Four or five years later she still wishes she'd never bought the thing, won't go back to Windows and won't (read doesn't want to) listen to me when I suggest there are better ways. She's already been on that long learning curve and won't go down that track again.

My point is if you're happy with what you've got, stick with it.

If you're not, and you're looking for alternatives, be prepared to accept that things may not always be done the same way that you've become used to doing them.
LinuxMint 14 'Nadia' 64-bit dual boot with Win' 7 :::<<>>::: Linux Registered User No. 545697
Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64) >< Cinnamon

Hairyloon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:14 am

rtrev wrote:Under the System Tools menu there is something called the Log File Viewer which might be helpful to you.

Menu -> All Applications -> System Tools -> Log File Viewer

My menu does not have an "All Applications" and my System Tools menu does not have a Log File Viewer. :(

And Odo, what was the point of that post?

gammelsmurf1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gammelsmurf1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:50 am

Log2.png
Screenshot
Log2.png (219.13 KiB) Viewed 638 times

Menu (Start Button) >> "Search Field" >> type: "gnome-system-log"
And voila! You "should" have the Logfileviewer in your menu.

Hairyloon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:37 am

gammelsmurf1 wrote:
Log2.png

Menu (Start Button) >> "Search Field" >> type: "gnome-system-log"
And voila! You "should" have the Logfileviewer in your menu.

"Should" is a wonderful word. I must have a different setup to you...
But I have by now worked out the basics of apt-get, so your hint worked in a roundabout way.

Thank you.

Hairyloon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:28 am

OK, so how do I reset the logs?
And are there any logs that I should take note of before I clear?

Return to “Newbie Questions”