Would Minters recommend this kernel patch?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
d00med

Would Minters recommend this kernel patch?

Post by d00med »

Here in this Reddit post is a PPA for a 200 line kernel patch to increase responsiveness. I'm running Mint 10 Julia. Is this something I, as a newbie, should avoid, in your general opinion?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Would Minters recommend this kernel patch?

Post by xenopeek »

Not necessarily something you benefit from; only helps if you have CPU heavy applications running in parallel.

Check your kernel version:

Code: Select all

uname -r
This patch is included already in 2.6.38 and up.
d00med

Post by d00med »

2.6.35 here.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

d00med wrote:2.6.35 here.
Then it might be worth doing, if you find with some heavy applications you use other applications become sluggish.

Also consider that there is a simple few lines you can add, that do the same as the 200 line kernel patch. No need to recompile your kernel :D http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=sHRYRuAN
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

I'm pretty sure that the 200 line patch has been made redundant by later kernels, so unless you are using .35 for a particular reason you could just upgrade your kernel.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
d00med

Post by d00med »

Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”