[solved] how do I add in the custom LM google search?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
varonbondumb

[solved] how do I add in the custom LM google search?

Post by varonbondumb »

In both firefox and chrome (or chromium), I'd like to know how to add back in the Linux Mint Custom Google Search.

I know that in Chromium, I right click the URL bar, go to "Edit Search Engines", but I'm not sure what to put it after that.

I can't find any plugin for Firefox, either. I know that I could go to linuxmint.com/start/Katya/ but I really don't feel like having that as my start page (although I do have it bookmarked for the purposes of searching)

Thanks a bunch.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: how do I add in the custom LM google search?

Post by oobetimer »

varonbondumb wrote:In both firefox and chrome (or chromium), I'd like to know how to add back in the Linux Mint Custom Google Search.

I know that in Chromium, I right click the URL bar, go to "Edit Search Engines", but I'm not sure what to put it after that.

I can't find any plugin for Firefox, either. I know that I could go to linuxmint.com/start/Katya/ but I really don't feel like having that as my start page (although I do have it bookmarked for the purposes of searching)

Thanks a bunch.
Set the home page .. :wink:

http://www.linuxmint.com/start/katya/
varonbondumb

Post by varonbondumb »

oobetimer wrote:
varonbondumb wrote: I know that I could go to linuxmint.com/start/Katya/ but I really don't feel like having that as my start page (although I do have it bookmarked for the purposes of searching)
http://www.linuxmint.com/start/katya/
Thanks for the reply though!

I specifically want this done so I can help generate money for Mint. Now, if having the start page as that generates even more money for Mint, then this would achieve my goal of helping them make more money. However, I do not have any evidence which shows this (if you have some, please feel free to provide it!).
varonbondumb

Post by varonbondumb »

For anyone else wanting to do this, here's how:

(1) Right click the URL bar and click "Edit Search Engines.

(2) At the bottom where it has a blank text box saying "Add new search engine", put whatever (I put LM Google Search), google for keyword, and this for the URL:

Code: Select all

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=002683415331144861350%3Atsq8didf9x0&q=%s&ie={inputEncoding}&sa=Search
(3) Mouseover the newly created search engine. It'll show "Make Default." Click that.

note: The Custom Google Search URL comes straight from the URL that comes included with Chromium that I installed on Linux Mint from the repositories.

Return to “Beginner Questions”