What app actively creates thumbnails?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fpd

What app actively creates thumbnails?

Post by fpd »

Does anyone know what app actively creates the thumbnails seen when viewing files in "icon" view and the small icons in "list" view? Mine stopped creating thumbnails, so all I see is the standard "no thumbnail" thumbnail. Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What app actively creates thumbnails?

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

...what app actively creates the thumbnails seen when viewing files in "icon" view and the small icons in "list" view...
That would be your file browser (i.e., Nautilus for the Gnome edition). You may have to clean out the thumbnail cache folder. Also, check your Nautilus preferences. You could have set it not to generate any thumbnails.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
fpd

Post by fpd »

Could not find, in Nautilus, any way to (not) create thumbnails of files (images, PDFs, text).

I cleared out the thumbnail "cache" ($home/.thumbnails/...)

Anyone wants to look at "top" while their system is creating thumbnails, and let me know what (image making) processes are running, that would make me happy...
conslie

Post by conslie »

If you want no thumbnails at all, within Nautilus, go to Edit-> Preferences->Preview and set the choices there to 'Never.'

Have fun!
fpd

Post by fpd »

Thank you for the clue... I verified modification of preferences (Nautilus >> Edit >> Prefs) indeed worked by changing the viewable meta data for files and seeing the change immediately. "Preview" was set to "Local Only" (and still is), as "Always" had no effect on thumbnail visibility.

"man -k thumbnail" showed evince-thumbnailer... so I found "evince-thumbnailer -s" running (using "top -u me" and then "ps ax | grep evince") and creating a temporary file in /tmp entitled; .gnome_desktop_thumbnail.XXXXXX. The XXXXXX value keeps changing (using ls -la /tmp) so evince-thumbnailer constantly creates thumbnails, but the thumbnails are not stored in the standard location; $home/.thumbnails/(etc.).

"$home/.thumbnails" and all subdirectories are owned by me.

"evince-thumbnailer" is owned by me.

I moved ".thumbnails/" to ".thumbnailsORG/" and immediately, a new ".thumbnails/" was created (with me:me as the owner:group) with "fail" and "normal" subdirectories (I added "large" and chmod it to 700 to mimic the other two in the folder).

On a "working" LM9 (a system that makes the thumbnails right), evince-thumbnailer runs until all the files are "thumbnailed" and then quits. I verified this with "top -u me" and "ps ax | grep evince".

I'm still stumped... Thank you for your ideas!
fpd

Post by fpd »

(crickets)

Return to “Beginner Questions”