entire system backup tool?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
retano

entire system backup tool?

Post by retano »

Hi everyone,

I would like to use a backup tool similar to Acronis True Image, but seems can't find one?
In short I need this functionality:
- GUI
- should install and run from Mint itself (e.g. I do not need to boot from CD to create a backup)
- scheduler is also a good thing

Do we have something like for mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: entire system backup tool?

Post by viking777 »

In short I need this functionality:
- GUI
- should install and run from Mint itself (e.g. I do not need to boot from CD to create a backup)
In short you aint gonna get it.

Clonezilla is the system imaging tool for linux.

Learn to love it (not easy :lol: ) or live without it.

Sorry, I don't make the rules, and I have been begging for the same functionality as you for more than 10 years. Nobody has listened to me so I doubt they will listen to you either, making worthless 'improvements' to desktop environments or inventing new social networking tools is considered far more valuable.
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

Clonezilla rocks.
retano

Post by retano »

I need to mention that it is a headless machine running as a file/web server and a torrent client. It is really not a convenient way for me to shutdown it once a week, connect a monitor and perform a backup. I use VNC to operate with it.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I finally got up the nerve to try clonezilla and backup my linux partition. You right. It's not easy but it works.
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

What hard about reading and then selecting?
istrandi

Post by istrandi »

You could have tried remastersys/relinux - it matches all of your requirements (except maybe for the fact it produces a ridiculously large .iso)
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

I'm a Remastersys fan, although it won't run unattended without doing some scripting. I have shot myself in the foot several times, and Remastersys has always allowed me to restore to my latest backup without drama. I tried Clonezilla, but it seemed like overkill for what I was doing.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

I use qt4-fsarchiver. For Mint deb packages are available here:

http://mirror.transact.net.au/sourcefor ... LinuxMint/

To save partitions it's not necessary to unmount them. You'll only see a warning a partitition is mounted but you can
proceed the backup. To write a partition back it must be unmounted. With a second OS it's easy to do. If you don't
have two systems on your HD there is a qt4-fsarchiver live cd available:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qt4-fsa ... s/Live-CD/
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

retano wrote:backup tool similar to Acronis True Image
As has been mentioned, clonezilla and remastersys are the usual candidates. There's also ghost4linux
retano wrote:need this functionality:
- GUI
If you're looking for a scheduled solution then a gui is not really necessary. Whilst you might think it would make life easier, you are really only going to use it rarely, maybe once to set up things up and again to restore, other than that it's redundant code. Also if you are only looking for a backup, then a system image is not necessary and linux has many options for making scripted and schedule backups that could be run on a headless server. See this thread for an extensive discussion.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
retano

Post by retano »

Gerd50 wrote:I use qt4-fsarchiver...
Seems like the one to me. However, when I select save image to the network PC it says ''no network PC found'' (I do have several machines running at the moment Mint, Win and MAc and all have shared folders) Do you have positive experience with qt4-fsarchiver and network shares?
retano

Post by retano »

During my search I also found this solution http://redobackup.org/
It requires rebooting, but has a nice and straight forward GUI, network shares also supported

Return to “Beginner Questions”