video/audio sync...again!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wiab4355

video/audio sync...again!

Post by wiab4355 »

Hi all

Once again the thorny issue (for me at any rate) of video encoding has raised its head.
I have archived .ts files from my Humax Freesat PVR.
I would like to play them back using my WDTV media player and although this great little box can play back .ts files, the fast-forward and rewind with these files is hopeless, so I need them in a more friendly container, avi, mkv, etc.
So far I've tried Winff, Openshot, Avidemux and VLC; the first three had the audio going out of sync from the off, gradually getting worse and VLC just crashed!
Although I won't be going back to Windows (this is not a dealbreaker after all), it is slightly annoying the aforementioned proggies don't seem to work for me.
Do any M$ progs work, via Wine, in Mint?

Thanks to all, in anticipation
and goodnight from London
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jonsteckelberg

Re: video/audio sync...again!

Post by jonsteckelberg »

You might try Kino. Have not tried it with that file type but it does work on some obscure formats.
wiab4355

Post by wiab4355 »

Thanks Jon, but that didn't work for me.

Ho hum, back to the wife's Vista machine, I suppose!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

wiab4355 wrote:.ts files from my Humax Freesat PVR
This thread has some info on that file format that might help. If not try searching the ubuntu forums for .ts files.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
wiab4355

Post by wiab4355 »

remoulder

thanks for the link; read the article but not sure if it's relevant to me; I can play these files on the laptop via VLC, no problem. It's converting them to a WDTV-friendly format that's the problem - video and audio losing sync, gradually at first but getting worse the more it plays.

Return to “Beginner Questions”